The Wilson's Creek National Battlefield (The Battle of Oak Hills)

Thanks for the great photos

Thanks for the kind words!

I love the battlefields west of the Mississippi River. There is something special to learn about and visit the sites which do not receive a lot of notoriety by so-called ACW historians. It really is a shame more attention is not given to these battles and skirmishes.

Bill

* Tour Stop - 3 : Confederate Major General Sterling “Old Pap” Price, the commander of the Missouri State Guard, established his headquarters next to the cabin of farmer William B. Edwards. Some 1,600 State Guard soldiers camped in this area. It was here that Major General Price and Brigadier General Benjamin McCulloch were informed of U.S. Army Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon’s surprise attack on the Confederate camps.

DSC_0091 (3).JPG

DSC_0244 (3).JPG

DSC_0259 (3).JPG

DSC_0257 (3).JPG

DSC_0269.JPG

DSC_0264 (3).JPG

DSC_0263 (2).JPG

Nice pictures! I especially like seeing the interior of the cabin.

Thanks! On my last visit the cabin was locked up.

On a side note, it still amazes me that the Trans-Mississippi battles on this message board get little to no attention or notoriety. In my opinion, not studying the Trans-Mississippi battles hinders the student's comprehension of the entire American Civil War. But this is just my opinion.....

Bill

Thanks! On my last visit the cabin was locked up.

On a side note, it still amazes me that the Trans-Mississippi battles on this message board get little to no attention or notoriety. In my opinion, not studying the Trans-Mississippi battles hinders the student's comprehension of the entire American Civil War. But this is just my opinion.....

Bill
I agree. Maybe my interest is so keen because I live here, literally in the middle of some of the most viciously fought-over land in the country. So few people know anything about it, and most of those that do seem to have a mostly passing awareness of the conflict out here.

I agree. Maybe my interest is so keen because I live here, literally in the middle of some of the most viciously fought-over land in the country. So few people know anything about it, and most of those that do seem to have a mostly passing awareness of the conflict out here.

And to be honest, this is a shame!

There is way more to learn and experience outside the state of Virginia and Gettysburg.

C'est la vie,
Bill

I was lucky enough to schedule a personal vacation for myself to see some western battlefields a couple of years ago. I hit Shiloh (which I had already visited but was able to see in nicer weather this time), Wilson's Creek, Pea Ridge, and Vicksburg. Wilson's Creek and Pea Ridge were excellent experiences -- they exceeded all of my high expectations. Very highly recommended.

I was lucky enough to schedule a personal vacation for myself to see some western battlefields a couple of years ago. I hit Shiloh (which I had already visited but was able to see in nicer weather this time), Wilson's Creek, Pea Ridge, and Vicksburg. Wilson's Creek and Pea Ridge were excellent experiences -- they exceeded all of my high expectations. Very highly recommended.

Outstanding!

Bill

Bill, did you hike this trail on your visit? I just read the sign and I like the common-sense guidance it offers.

Wilson Creek Battlefield is a beautiful park. It is fairly secluded and wedged into the Republic, Springfield, Nixa Missouri triangle, but is still a great place. I would rank it almost with Pea Ridge and Shiloh IMO. Great pictures! Thank you.

Missouri 1st!

The Wilson's Creek National Battlefield and the Pea Ridge National Military Park are in my top ten list of ACW battlefields.

Bill

Back