The Wilson's Creek National Battlefield (The Battle of Oak Hills)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* The Wilson's Creek National Battlefield is located near Republic, Missouri. The National Park Service preserves the site of the Battle of Wilson's Creek (Battle of Oak Hills). This American Civil War battle was fought on August 10, 1861. This battle was the first major American Civil War engagement west of the Mississippi River. In the battle, a Confederate army commanded by Benjamin McCulloch and Sterling Price defeated a smaller U.S. Army commanded by Nathaniel Lyon. However, the Confederates were unable to hold much of Missouri, and a Confederate defeat at the Battle of Pea Ridge effectively solidified Union control of the state. Major features include a five-mile auto tour loop, the Ray House and "Bloody Hill," (final stage of the battle). It has been a unit of the National Park Service since 1960 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. (Wikipedia)

* Missouri State Marker at the National Park Service Museum (Old General Sweeny Museum).

DSC_0190 (2).JPG

* National Park Service Sign (Entrance to Battlefield).

DSC_0198 (3).JPG

* The Wilson's Creek (Near Tour Stop - 1).

DSC_0220 (3).JPG

* Tour Stop - 1 (Gibson's Mill Site).

DSC_0216 (3).JPG

* The Gibson's Oatfield.

DSC_0219 (2).JPG

* Tour Stop - 2 (The Ray House and Farm).

DSC_0232 (3).JPG

* The Ray Cornfield.

DSC_0226 (3).JPG

* Tour Stop - 3 (The Pulaski Arkansas Battery).

DSC_0250 (3).JPG

* Tour Stop - 3 (Edwards Cabin/Sterling Price's Headquarters).

DSC_0262 (3).JPG

* The Historic Wire Road.

DSC_0276 (3).JPG

* Tour Stop - 4 (Sigel's Second Position).

DSC_0280 (3).JPG

* Tour Stop - 5 (Sigel's Final Position)

DSC_0285 (3).JPG

* Tour Stop - 6 (Guibor's Confederate Battery).

DSC_0297 (3).JPG

* Tour Stop - 7 (The Bloody Hill).

DSC_0344 (3).JPG

* U.S. Army Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon Death Marker - Some historians believe he was shot near the tour stop road).

DSC_0329 (3).JPG

* Tour Stop - 8 (Route of the Union Advance and Withdrawal).

DSC_0348 (3).JPG

Looks like you caught it freshly mowed and in good weather. Outstanding pictures.

* The Wilson's Creek National Battlefield is located near Republic, Missouri. The National Park Service preserves the site of the Battle of Wilson's Creek (Battle of Oak Hills). This American Civil War battle was fought on August 10, 1861. This battle was the first major American Civil War engagement west of the Mississippi River. In the battle, a Confederate army commanded by Benjamin McCulloch and Sterling Price defeated a smaller U.S. Army commanded by Nathaniel Lyon. However, the Confederates were unable to hold much of Missouri, and a Confederate defeat at the Battle of Pea Ridge effectively solidified Union control of the state. Major features include a five-mile auto tour loop, the Ray House and "Bloody Hill," (final stage of the battle). It has been a unit of the National Park Service since 1960 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. (Wikipedia)

* Missouri State Marker at the National Park Service Museum (Old General Sweeny Museum).

View attachment 402852

* National Park Service Sign (Entrance to Battlefield).

View attachment 402853

* The Wilson's Creek (Near Tour Stop - 1).

View attachment 402854

* Tour Stop - 1 (Gibson's Mill Site).

View attachment 402855

* The Gibson's Oatfield.

View attachment 402856

* Tour Stop - 2 (The Ray House and Farm).

View attachment 402857

* The Ray Cornfield.

View attachment 402859

* Tour Stop - 3 (The Pulaski Arkansas Battery).

View attachment 402860

* Tour Stop - 3 (Edwards Cabin/Sterling Price's Headquarters).

View attachment 402861

* The Historic Wire Road.

View attachment 402862

* Tour Stop - 4 (Sigel's Second Position).

View attachment 402863

* Tour Stop - 5 (Sigel's Final Position)

View attachment 402864

* Tour Stop - 6 (Guibor's Confederate Battery).

View attachment 402865

* Tour Stop - 7 (The Bloody Hill).

View attachment 402866

* U.S. Army Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon Death Marker - Some historians believe he was shot near the tour stop road).

View attachment 402871

* Tour Stop - 8 (Route of the Union Advance and Withdrawal).

View attachment 402873
Great pics of such an interesting battlefield. I knew I had found a "keeper" when my then-girlfriend (now wife) traipsed all throughout this site with me after visiting relatives in St. Louis!

Great photos. I visited a few years ago. It's as good as any other battlefield park I've visited. The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. The visitor center / museum is worth the stop.

The new and improved visitor center opened the day after our visit. Crudball!

Now I have an excuse to visit this site again but this time, take @Patrick H.

Bill

Great pics of such an interesting battlefield. I knew I had found a "keeper" when my then-girlfriend (now wife) traipsed all throughout this site with me after visiting relatives in St. Louis!

Thanks!

My wife had both of her knees replaced last year. Walking the Gibson's Mill Site Trail and the Wire Road Trail (Pulaski Battery and Price H.Q.) was her first test with her bionic knees. She passed with flying colors!!!

Bill

The dead CSA soldiers from Wilson Creek are buried in the (Federal) National Cemetery in Springfield

On my next visit to the Wilson's Creek National Battlefield, I will tour this cemetery. On this past trip, I visited the Fort Smith National Cemetery in Fort Smith, Arkansas. The cemetery contains a ton of Union and Confederate soldiers/sailors. I was amazed to observe a bunch of "Unknown Soldier" graves. All graves contained a United States of America flag. Very humbling....

Bill

20210527_202623.jpg

20210530_195151.jpg

This book was designed for the young boy or girl visiting American Civil War sites in the state of Missouri. But to be quite frank, this young boy has used this stamp book to plan itineraries in the state of Missouri. The most battles/skirmishes occurred in the state of Virginia. The second most battles/skirmishes occurred in the state of Tennessee. But most individuals don't have a clue on the third state. Yes, Missouri.... The state of Missouri is a gold mine for the ACW buff! @Patrick H

Bill

20210605_201644.jpg

This book was designed for the young boy or girl visiting American Civil War sites in the state of Missouri. But to be quite frank, this young boy has used this stamp book to plan itineraries in the state of Missouri. The most battles/skirmishes occurred in the state of Virginia. The second most battles/skirmishes occurred in the state of Tennessee. But most individuals don't have a clue on the third state. Yes, Missouri.... The state of Missouri is a gold mine for the ACW buff! @Patrick H

Bill

View attachment 403418
Missouri is an amazing resource of Civil War sites and characters.

Bill, do the wayside markers explain why one cannon is elevated and one is leveled? Or do you think that is just coincidence? This picture makes me want to run out there and try to lower that far tube, to keep rain and snow out of it!
I'm betting the elevation screw is docked up and they can't lower the tube, or whoever emplacement it doesn't know or care. I'm not a Gun Bunney though.

Back