The widow weible or wible house field hospital

steveb287

Private
Hello all,

Does anyone have any info, letters etc regarding the Widow Weibel house and field hospital during the battle of Gettysburg ? Thanks in advance !

Elizabeth Weible [variant Wible], 55-year-old widow at the time of the battle. Her house still stands. The barn and surrounding grounds were one of several field hospitals established for the wounded of Major General Edward Johnson's Confederate division. Two known burials on the property:

-Lt. Valentine W. Southall, Company B, 23rd Virginia, buried on the farm of Mrs. Wible, in a fence corner near the house. For more information on Lt. Southall, see: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/re...-from-gettysburg-in-1869.169182/#post-2201263

-Louis Thibeaux, Green's Louisiana Battery, was buried "back of barn."

Vote Here:
Elizabeth Weible [variant Wible], 55-year-old widow at the time of the battle. Her house still stands. The barn and surrounding grounds were one of several field hospitals established for the wounded of Major General Edward Johnson's Confederate division. Two known burials on the property:

-Lt. Valentine W. Southall, Company B, 23rd Virginia, buried on the farm of Mrs. Wible, in a fence corner near the house. For more information on Lt. Southall, see: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/re...-from-gettysburg-in-1869.169182/#post-2201263

-Louis Thibeaux, Green's Louisiana Battery, was buried "back of barn."
Thanks for the response. I am researching another confederate who was wounded and ended up at that farm but have hit a dead end. Do you know of any other sources of that farm ? Thanks

Vote Here:
Unfortunately not at this time, but curious as to the identity of your confederate and how the farm was described. I've driven past there to take a look. I don't recall that it was graced with a hospital sign, like that found at the Montfort place a short distance away. At least one surgeon or assistant surgeon must have handled cases there, but associating a surgeon with a particular hospital is often a difficult task in itself.

Here's an old post on Johnson's field hospitals in case you missed it:

Vote Here:
By coincidence, just came across an article on the Martin Shealer barn from the News Leader (Richmond and Manchester), April 5, 1907. The Shealer farm was adjacent to the Elilzabeth Weible place.

Shealer's barn to be torn down. Because of its weakened condition, historic Shealer's barn on Gettysburg battlefield, will be razed by its owner, G. W. Shealer, who has already sold much of the timber to relic hunters. This famous barn was built nearly 150 years ago [circa 1760], and is the oldest farm stable in Adams county. It is probably the best-known barn in the United States, having been viewed annually by thousands of battlefield visitors ever since the Civil War. During the battle and for several weeks after the conflict this building was occupied by the Confederates as a hospital, the mows, stable and floor being filled with the wounded. In the logs of the old structure are imbedded many bullets which lodged there during the first day of the battle, while timbers are stained with human blood, the marks of which are still visible. Forty-four Confederate soldiers, members of Johnston's brigade, died in this building, and their bodies were buried within 100 feet of the structure. Later their bodies were disinterred and removed to Hollywood cemetery in Richmond, Va. Gettysburg Correspondence Philadelphia Press.

Vote Here:
For the interested - this link includes a photo of the nearby Shealer barn. I was surprised to see a thatched roof on it.

Vote Here:
Unfortunately not at this time, but curious as to the identity of your confederate and how the farm was described. I've driven past there to take a look. I don't recall that it was graced with a hospital sign, like that found at the Montfort place a short distance away. At least one surgeon or assistant surgeon must have handled cases there, but associating a surgeon with a particular hospital is often a difficult task in itself.

Here's an old post on Johnson's field hospitals in case you missed it:

@Tom Elmore

Hey Tom,

I just realized my response to this post never went through. Are you able to P.M? I have been working on this research project for a couple years regarding a really interesting story regarding a confederate soldier and the weible/wible farm and would love to discuss and get your thoughts ?

Vote Here:
Back