The whipple hat thread

FedericoFCavada

First Sergeant
There is an earlier thread about both the havelock sun or rain cover for the kepi/chausseur cap or the forage cap and the whipple hat. I thought a separate whipple hat thread might be in order? Apologies if this has been discussed to death previously...

Whipple hatted soldier.jpg

FedericoFCavada

First Sergeant
From Ron Field's article we learn to differentiate between four types of silly hats:

1. The "Loomis or Herzog 'Havelock cap' " worn by a few Illinois and Wisconsin troops, since it emanated from Chicago.
2. The "true" Whipple's patent cap, worn by some Massachusetts and New York outfits. Apparently 2,000 such hats were acquired by Gen. Benjamin Butler while at Fortress Monroe, VA.
3. The "Purinton and Ham" hat of New Hampshire--described as a salt-and-pepper/brownish gray woolen hat designed to repel rainwater and send it farther down the back than a hat without any brim at all. Early adopted by the 3rd through 5th NH volunteers.
Last, 4. The Charles Lacroix Pascal hat, designed to be worn in such a way that the wearer's service branch would be immediately known like the venerable Model 1858 dress hat or "Hardee hat" or offering modification to protect the neck from sun or wet. Worn by a pair of Philadelphia cavalry outfits, since it was made in Philadelphia.

Apparently, Dirty Billy's Hat shop in Gettysburg may still offer one or another of the New England variety as a custom piece.

Last edited:

Gandycreek

1st Lieutenant
There is an earlier thread about both the havelock sun or rain cover for the kepi/chausseur cap or the forage cap and the whipple hat. I thought a separate whipple hat thread might be in order? Apologies if this has been discussed to death previously...

View attachment 342435
I owned this image years ago. It's changed hands quite a few times since then.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Various manufacturers made different version of the basic Havelock Hat. Whimmple, Loomis, Herog, Purinton, Ham, and Pascal hats were all a bit different. In the South their Havelock hats were called the Excelsior hat and I am not sure who made the Havelock hats worn by Southern soldiers. The Southern soldiers did not care for their "Excelsior" hats any more than the Union soldiers cared for their versions of these Havelock hat or cap.

FedericoFCavada

First Sergeant
I think that is just it: Apart from the slouch hat or the felt campaign hat--or maybe a good straw hat in the summers--I'm not sure that any U.S. army headwear in pre-helmet days was ever very practical or even soldierly looking...? Shako--silly, heavy, uncomfortable but makes the wearer look taller and have better posture... 1825 forage cap or "chako"--silly, combines the worst features of the tam-o-shanter, beret, failed soufflé with a visor, not very long wearing... 1833 leather folding shako or "hog killer"--very hot, oh-so-clever but hideously ugly... 1839 forage cap--a nice wheel cap with a visor and little neck and ear warmer fitted to it, this one might be the "winner?" ... 1851 shako ... 1858 Hardee hat--looks smart-ish, shorn of frippery it looks like a campaign hat, allows for determination of what arm of service branch the wearer is at a glance, but proved unpopular outside the west... The forage cap or feed bag with visor... The spiked pickelhaube or "pimple hat" of zee Germans ... The pith helmet--great at protecting the wearer from the sun, but from Apache sharp shooters, not so much ...

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
From Ron Field's article we learn to differentiate between four types of silly hats:

1. The "Loomis or Herzog 'Havelock cap' " worn by a few Illinois and Wisconsin troops, since it emanated from Chicago.
If this is correct, I assume Corporal D. C. Yakey of the 25th Wisconsin must be wearing one of these instead of a Whipple cap:

D. C. Yakey and Whipple's Patent Cap.jpg