The Washington Monument at South Mountain, Maryland

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* The Washington Monument State Park is a public recreation area located approximately four miles east of Boonsboro, Maryland. The park preserves the Washington Monument, a 40-foot-tall tower honoring George Washington, the first President of the United States. The monument, which sits near the summit of South Mountain's Monument Knob, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The park is managed by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

This monument was built in 1827. The original tower was the first monument dedicated to George Washington. The Washington Monument in Baltimore was completed two years later, although it had been started considerably earlier in 1815. The famous Washington Monument in the District of Columbia was not completed until 1885.

The Washington Monument was used by the Federal Army as a signal station during the Civil War.

* Wikipedia

IMG_1692 (3).JPG

IMG_1695 (3).JPG

IMG_1694 (3).JPG

IMG_1696 (2).JPG

IMG_1703 (3).JPG

IMG_1702 (2).JPG

IMG_1704 (3).JPG

IMG_1705 (2).JPG

DSC04613.JPG

Unfortunately, the sky wasn't as clear the day Mike @mkyzzzrdet and I visited there in 2016 after our September to Remember Gathering, but I photographed very similar angles and subjects as yours, but hadn't found an excuse to post them yet, so here they are!

DSC04614.JPG
DSC04615.JPG
DSC04616.JPG
DSC04617.JPG

Last edited:
* The Washington Monument State Park is a public recreation area located approximately four miles east of Boonsboro, Maryland. The park preserves the Washington Monument, a 40-foot-tall tower honoring George Washington, the first President of the United States. The monument, which sits near the summit of South Mountain's Monument Knob, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The park is managed by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

This monument was built in 1827. The original tower was the first monument dedicated to George Washington. The Washington Monument in Baltimore was completed two years later, although it had been started considerably earlier in 1815. The famous Washington Monument in the District of Columbia was not completed until 1885.

The Washington Monument was used by the Federal Army as a signal station during the Civil War.

* Wikipedia

View attachment 304205

View attachment 304206

View attachment 304207

View attachment 304208

View attachment 304209

View attachment 304210

View attachment 304211

View attachment 304212
Not far from where I live. I led some juniors from our Fife and Drum corps up there for a performance at a commemorative event in 2017.
FTFD.jpg

Great photos as always. Did you go to the Dahlgren Chapel and the Gathland Park and the Gaps? We hadn't intended to go to this area and only landed there because we took a wrong turn. We were very happy about that and spent most of the morning and early afternoon on South Mountain.

Back