The War of Southern Aggression

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Carronade

1st Lieutenant
I favor "The War for Southern Independence". :smile:
My choice also; had they been successful, it would be the "War of Southern [or Confederate] Independence".

"Civil war" usually refers to a war between factions within a country, often for control of the entire country, sometimes to address grievances of some group, but not having an intention to split the nation. The English Civil War would be an example.

Any uprising against a government can be termed a rebellion, but by the same token, "rebellion" says little about the cause or objectives of the rebels. It may be something as limited as the Whiskey Rebellion.

jgoodguy

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Edited. Many here like to blast the Confederate side while sugar-coating the Union and portraying Lincoln as an all-knowing/all-seeing wizard. I have no need to do that because it wasn't and he wasn't.
Every time I ask for examples of this assertion all I hear is crickets. Perhaps you will be an exceptional example and provide these examples from a non-Southern source. Sadly I expect more crickets.

James Lutzweiler

First Sergeant
The War of South Independence to Protect Slavery?
I like that. However, I have never been able to figure out how Secession would somehow preserve slavery. It seems to me it would hasten its demise. I'd like to read an essay or a post or two with thoughts on just exactly how SC planned to preserve slavery with a very costly Declaration of Independence. To me, Secession to preserve slaver is the motherlode of all non sequiturs.

James Lutzweiler

First Sergeant
My choice also; had they been successful, it would be the "War of Southern [or Confederate] Independence".

"Civil war" usually refers to a war between factions within a country, often for control of the entire country, sometimes to address grievances of some group, but not having an intention to split the nation. The English Civil War would be an example.

Any uprising against a government can be termed a rebellion, but by the same token, "rebellion" says little about the cause or objectives of the rebels. It may be something as limited as the Whiskey Rebellion.
I like.

Does anyone like THE WAR FOR WESTERN REAL ESTATE?

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
I won’t go into an in-depth discussion of this but wars of secession may be considered civil wars, particularly when the secessionist region is part of the country’s core (rather than periphery).

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
I like that. However, I have never been able to figure out how Secession would somehow preserve slavery. It seems to me it would hasten its demise. I'd like to read an essay or a post or two with thoughts on just exactly how SC planned to preserve slavery with a very costly Declaration of Independence. To me, Secession to preserve slaver is the motherlode of all non sequiturs.
I'm not saying that the secessionists were geniuses. But that's what they thought at the time. Slavery in the United States had a bleak future, according to them.

The only neighboring sovereign States were Georgia and North Carolina and they didn't have a problem with it. In fact the State of Georgia provided the powder and shot to Gen Beauregard to fire on Ft Sumter.
So again...it's OK if you rob someone across the country, take what is rightfully theirs, and then just want to be left alone? Better yet, now the neighborhood is ganging up on someone who has every right to be there and what makes it OK to steel their stuff is because they aren't wanted? Try that out in real life and tell me how often someone gets "left alone".

Like @Andersonh1 & @CSA Today , I prefer: The War for Southern Independence. :cool:

I grew up with it being called, The Civil War. That's how it was taught in school. As far as people in conversation, I heard it called, The War of Northern Aggression, The Civil War, & The War for Southern Independence.

The first time I ever heard anyone call it the War of the Rebellion, or Slaveholders Rebellion, was here at CWT. It's only been in the last 5yrs or so, that I've really heard anyone speak negatively about the South, & it's hero's. For me personally, it started with the city of Lexington, & W&L University.

Even attending Robert E. Lee high school years ago, I never heard anyone speak a negative word about our school's namesake.
War of the Rebellion and the Slaveholders' Rebellion were names that were used for the conflict while it was still raging, they've just fallen out of common usage in the century and a half since.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)