The War of Southern Aggression

James Lutzweiler

First Sergeant
Dear Fellow Posters,

Born a Yankee in Philadelphia and raised as one in Michigan and Illinois before going off to college in Minnesota where I married a Tar Heel before I knew what one was, from at least 1951-1968 I do not ever recall hearing what happened between 1861-1865 called anything other than the Civil War. Gradually other expressions that we all know so well began to creep into my vocabulary. Recently on a separate post captioned TRR: TRUE CAUSE OF THE WAR, a fellow poster threw out a phrase he intended in jest but which I found accurate and refreshing. I refer to the expression THE WAR OF SOUTHERN AGGRESSION. Like all the other expressions, it does not encompass all that the war was; but as far as it goes, I find it useful and a welcome new characterization --at least new to me. I seek your views about it.

I repeat: it is not original with me, but I endorse it. When I find our fellow poster who passed it along to me in jest, I will credit him/her accordingly.

FYI, my own all encompassing phrase of preference is A FALLING OUT AMONG THIEVES with not a lick of disrespect to the poor soldiers who fought in it. Their motives were mixed, and I doubt that many, if any, had thievery in mind. But Lincoln and U.S. Grant, two Illinois boys besides the undersigned, sure called what we did to Mexico just that Edited.

James Lutzweiler

Last edited by a moderator:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

JAGwinn

Retired User
Y'all talkin' 'bout them thar bushwhackers, now...

Currently working on my Sister-in-laws family; includes McClleland Miller and Ike Clanton, members of Quantrills Raiders.

CORRECTION: Jesse James gang.

Last edited:
I find nothing wrong with it if people wish to refer to the Civil War as The War of Southern Aggression but
its funny, a lot of Southerners use another more well known term for the Civil War - The War of Northern
Aggression. I am a Tar Heel myself, my family has ties North Carolina and Virginia since the early Colonial
period of American history and I've heard the term The War of Northern Aggression much more than the
inverse.

To be honest, I believe there was plenty of aggressive intention on the part of both sides that fought in the
Civil War and using terms like this attempts to cast blame on one side or the other for what was the violent
culmination of the long running political argument over the existence of slavery in the Southern states and
its expansion into the Western territories does not deny the fact that there is blame on both sides for what
was a troubling and terrible time in American History.

To say 'The Civil War' defines my meaning, until Spain enters the picture. Again for context, 'Harper's History of the Great Rebellion', which is uncommon, and within a section of it, 'The War for the Union'. It is a northern press. The Chattanooga Free Press had an article on variants years ago, and I may have seen another in Civil War Times Magazine.

James Lutzweiler

First Sergeant
I find nothing wrong with it if people wish to refer to the Civil War as The War of Southern Aggression but
its funny, a lot of Southerners use another more well known term for the Civil War - The War of Northern
Aggression. I am a Tar Heel myself, my family has ties North Carolina and Virginia since the early Colonial
period of American history and I've heard the term The War of Northern Aggression much more than the
inverse.

To be honest, I believe there was plenty of aggressive intention on the part of both sides that fought in the
Civil War and using terms like this attempts to cast blame on one side or the other for what was the violent
culmination of the long running political argument over the existence of slavery in the Southern states and
its expansion into the Western territories does not deny the fact that there is blame on both sides for what
was a troubling and terrible time in American History.
Thank you. I did not intend by this phrase to capture the entirety of the War but merely one aspect of it. I am not so sure that any single phrase can capture the whole thing, though I think War for Southern Independence comes as close as any. Few are likely to echo my characterization as A FALLING OUT AMONG THIEVES, particularly because it seems to cast aspersion on every soldier in it as nothing but a horse thief. But I think we would agree that not all of the motives for participation in it were totally honorable. Some, we know, simply wanted adventure, and wars give plenty of that. But how honorable is it to take a side just for adventure? Shall we kill just for adventure? Edited.

Thank you. I did not intend by this phrase to capture the entirety of the War but merely one aspect of it. I am not so sure that any single phrase can capture the whole thing, though I think War for Southern Independence comes as close as any. Few are likely to echo my characterization as A FALLING OUT AMONG THIEVES, particularly because it seems to cast aspersion on every soldier in it as nothing but a horse thief. But I think we would agree that not all of the motives for participation in it were totally honorable. Some, we know, simply wanted adventure, and wars give plenty of that. BUt how honorable is it to take a side just for adventure. Shall we kill just for adventure? Edited.
I believe your characterization A FALLING OUT AMONG THIEVES is appropriate on two levels: There
was certainly a falling out between the North and South and if you look at how the average person feels
about politicians, the descriptive noun thieves would be one term that comes to mind when we think about
them.

I personally don't like the term civil war as there was nothing civil about it or any other war. My Grandpappy said it best. It should have been called "We Just Wanted To Be Left Alone" war
If you stole your neighbor’s property!in a fistfight, you can’t then claim to want to just be left alone (with the stolen property). That’s not how it works...with all due respect to your Grandpappy.

I personally don't like the term civil war as there was nothing civil about it or any other war. My Grandpappy said it best. It should have been called "We Just Wanted To Be Left Alone" war
Actually, I do believe this term actually describes the way a lot of southerners felt. I'm talking about a lot of the grass roots folks--not about the politicians nor the big money planters.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)