Member Review The War for the Common Soldier: How Men Thought, Fought, and Survived in Civil War Armies by Peter S. Carmi

And that's really interesting because if you read diaries from the Richmond area - mostly female - they believed with the utmost sincerity - that Lee was never going to be defeated, even though they were barely subsisting, just from reading these papers. I had wondered about the quotes or paraphrases they would mention in their diaries. Yet they didn't believe with their own eyes. It shows I guess we can all be taken in.

And that's really interesting because if you read diaries from the Richmond area - mostly female - they believed with the utmost sincerity - that Lee was never going to be defeated, even though they were barely subsisting, just from reading these papers. I had wondered about the quotes or paraphrases they would mention in their diaries. Yet they didn't believe with their own eyes. It shows I guess we can all be taken in.
Maybe these regimental declarations played a role in (mis)leading civilians into a false optimism.

I met and listened to Peter Carmichael, several years ago. He's a smart guy and I need to buy his book.

It should be a good read.

Let us know when you read it.

I've just ordered his most recent book,

51Z000t9e1L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It was expensive but I hope worth it. I'll let you know.

I too was disappointed that immigrant soldiers were not represented in the book. Many of the best accounts from the war came from the pens of German immigrants who were often at odds with their native born comrades regarding many issues relating to the war, emancipation being foremost. The voices that scholars such as Joseph Reinhart have brought to us are absolutely vital to understanding the crucial role these men played and they often shed a light on mid-19th century America that other soldiers’ accounts do not.

All of that said, I did enjoy Prof Carmichael’s book and would recommend it highly.

I too was disappointed that immigrant soldiers were not represented in the book. Many of the best accounts from the war came from the pens of German immigrants who were often at odds with their native born comrades regarding many issues relating to the war, emancipation being foremost. The voices that scholars such as Joseph Reinhart have brought to us are absolutely vital to understanding the crucial role these men played and they often shed a light on mid-19th century America that other soldiers’ accounts do not.

All of that said, I did enjoy Prof Carmichael’s book and would recommend it highly.
Joe Reinhart has published some valuable and now easily accessbile materials.

Back