The Vicksburg Campaign: The Beginning and End in One Picture

Though it isn't a part of the 'Vicksburg Campaign' it is still a valid question I have. On reading of Mississippi's secession from the Union in the very early days of 1861, Governor Pettus assigned a couple of guns to be manned by State Militia on the bluffs above Vicksburg. This was to interdict river traffic. Is there any mention of these two guns anywhere as to their location on the battle-front in Vicksburg?
Lubliner.

Though it isn't a part of the 'Vicksburg Campaign' it is still a valid question I have. On reading of Mississippi's secession from the Union in the very early days of 1861, Governor Pettus assigned a couple of guns to be manned by State Militia on the bluffs above Vicksburg. This was to interdict river traffic. Is there any mention of these two guns anywhere as to their location on the battle-front in Vicksburg?
Lubliner.
That’s a very good question and I’m not exactly sure. It seems I read somewhere that those two guns were located on or near Fort Hill - either atop its bluffs or in the plain below. I’m sure an expert on that time period will chime in. Perhaps @TomP might know?

That’s a very good question and I’m not exactly sure. It seems I read somewhere that those two guns were located on or near Fort Hill - either atop its bluffs or in the plain below. I’m sure an expert on that time period will chime in. Perhaps @TomP might know?
The battery was located on Fort Hill.

Back