The use of sewing machines during the Civil War

I've been told that the frock coat was a very difficult item to assemble. Can anyone elabrate?

I'm not a tailor but could sure see where this elegant coat would take much more care? Mom sewed- a lot and took a tailoring course so she could make suits, etc. Any piece of clothing so fitted to one's form would have more pieces in a pattern hence seams? I watched her- each cut piece's raw seam had to be laid flat, open, inside and pressed, to lay flat and not ruin how the coat's fabric fell when worn.

Wish we had a tailor here who could further explain. Those people are amazing.

The industry must have boomed around this time? I can't say it for a fact- no expert here but spend a fair amount of time browsing era papers. So many ads!

ad 3.JPG

With this one, you're ennobled, or crowned queen. It is unclear.

ad l10.JPG

Grover and Baker again

ad l11.JPG

Here's Wheeler and Wilson!

ad17a.JPG

An upside-down ad, pretty clever

I've been told that the frock coat was a very difficult item to assemble. Can anyone elabrate?

I have only made one. Drafted it myself with my friend's measurements from an 1855 tailors book (I'm still shocked I got it right on the first try--I am not mathematical). I did not put the padding in because I didn't realize it should have had any until I was mostly done (and he didn't care), but the actual assembly wasn't what I would call difficult. The worst part for me was a) figuring out how the split in the back worked and then b) I had never lined anything like a coat before so I didn't cut my lining quite big enough. Long story short...I do not think it was especially difficult. (Yes, I used a sewing machine.)

img-4755_orig.jpg

I have only made one. Drafted it myself with my friend's measurements from an 1855 tailors book (I'm still shocked I got it right on the first try--I am not mathematical). I did not put the padding in because I didn't realize it should have had any until I was mostly done (and he didn't care), but the actual assembly wasn't what I would call difficult. The worst part for me was a) figuring out how the split in the back worked and then b) I had never lined anything like a coat before so I didn't cut my lining quite big enough. Long story short...I do not think it was especially difficult. (Yes, I used a sewing machine.)

View attachment 134480
Awesome! Nice job!

Were the sleeves a pill? That's where the bad words come in for me.

@LoriAnn I don't recall that they gave me much, if any, trouble. Of course, I crammed the frock, a pair of trousers, and a shirt into just under two weeks of sewing. I had it ready to go in early July, but then my grandpa went into the hospital and I didn't touch anything sewing related until after his funeral three and half weeks later and I had two weeks to get the whole shibang made....I don't remember much except that I did nothing but sew, eat, and sleep. And if it hadn't been for my mom and younger sister pitching in the last two days I never would have made my deadline because I got sick. All in all, I don't find sleeves too bad--except for the time that I clear forgot how to put them in. Lyme disease will do that to you... :whistling:

@LoriAnn I don't recall that they gave me much, if any, trouble. Of course, I crammed the frock, a pair of trousers, and a shirt into just under two weeks of sewing. I had it ready to go in early July, but then my grandpa went into the hospital and I didn't touch anything sewing related until after his funeral three and half weeks later and I had two weeks to get the whole shibang made....I don't remember much except that I did nothing but sew, eat, and sleep. And if it hadn't been for my mom and younger sister pitching in the last two days I never would have made my deadline because I got sick. All in all, I don't find sleeves too bad--except for the time that I clear forgot how to put them in. Lyme disease will do that to you... :whistling:
Oh Miss Rep, I'm sorry about the loss of your grandpa. :frown:

(As for sleeves, I can't remember how to put them in when I'm healthy. You are WAY ahead of me.)

Back