The US, the CSA and the Vatican

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
Honored Fallen Comrade
...or perhaps the Holy See. I don't even know what that means but in researching this subject a tad I get the idea that there is an important distinction.

Anyway.... I was watching the Lincoln Institute Symposium on CSPAN this weekend. During the Q&A sessions a guy asked the same question of two dif presenters. He had prepared himself in writing and referred to two dif authors and their books. It had something to do with the Catholic Church but neither presenter wanted to deal with it enough for me to get anything out of their response.

In fact both sidestepped it as if they knew this guy, the books or the subject as the realm of whackos. The first a lady, somewhat gleefully said the subject wasn't in her purview and moved on.

The second presenter got a look on his face as if he knew he was entering a place he didn't want to be but did attempt to respond. In doing so the questioner was able to follow up with something about the US not recognizing the Vatican from 1887 to 1984(?) and that it had something to do with the Lincoln assassination and the ACW.

I did go look at Wikipedia on the subject and the Surratts were mentioned.....Mary's execution and John's hiding out at the Vatican.

I'm interested in both the details around what happened in 1887 but more specifically in the two books that seemed to raise a red flag.

Back