The Unusual Relic.

relichound

Corporal
Maryland...'bout 55 miles south of Gettysburg.
I was at an outdoor estate auction in Frederick County Maryland just a couple years ago, and I
was surprised to see this combination of Civil War relics sitting in an auction display case on a table.
There was a US box plate, connected to a soldier's epaulet from the same war, and another small piece
of brass all connected by means of a couple old nails. Was this kept by an old veteran from the war, and did someone make this out of it? Why?
IMG_0356 (2).JPG

Nice Pieces. I would say that its was a display someone put together as the cartridge box plate was an infantry item and the epaulets are a cavalry item.

dress uniform.jpeg

At the start of the Civil War, shoulder scales were a standard element of a non-com or private's uniform for infantry, artillery & cavalry. As is often said, in war that which is not essential is thrown away. Once the shooting started, the clumsy hat, high collared shell jacket, non-com baldric / sword & shoulder scales all went by the board. If I dig deep enough, I have a photo of a guard mount in the Army of the Potomac where shoulder scales are worn. I don't recall any other image of soldiers wearing shoulder scales off the top of my head.

At Stones River, the U.S. Regulars had all their pre-war regalia safely packed away in their baggage train. There is an amusing tongue in cheek story about having to account for the worthless items while engaged in a war. The bean counters were ever thus. Post war shoulder scales might have come back into full dress after the war, but it isn't something I have any reason to have in my uniform image folders.

Last edited:
Yes, epaulets were used early in the war, I believe, but were not kept by most Union units.
This strange assortment of relics to me was perhaps put together by an offspring of
the veteran who brought these back. Just for fun? Maybe. What was there that I missed?
An NCO sword, a musician's sword, a corps badge, etc.
Keep in mind that many relic dealers were in business soon after (even during) the war and sold items to "reunion" guests at various battlefields. Other items found their way into GAR Halls donated by various veterans, those items went to the wind as the aging veterans passed on and the Halls were shuttered. There were many dealers who made a living selling items just like this to the public who might visit the various battlefields. Lastly Bannerman would combine surplus items such as these and pin them to a plaque or combine for quick sale.

All throughout the war newly minted regiments went off to war with all kinds of unnecessary paraphernalia on their uniforms, but were regulation. They soon found their way to the roadside......

3rd Georgia soldiers .jpeg

Members Company D 3rd Georgia. 3gvi.org

After the war, members of my wife's g-g-grandpaw's 3rd Georgia V.I. returned to Gettysburg. Rooting around the fence along the Emitsburg Road where they found items that members of the regiment lost. They had cowered for cover there on day before Pickett's charge. The 3rd was too cut up to participate in that massacre, so watched it from a reserve position. Don't you wish you could have been a little birdie sitting on the fence & listened to what they had to say?

Last edited:
I was at an outdoor estate auction in Frederick County Maryland just a couple years ago, and I
was surprised to see this combination of Civil War relics sitting in an auction display case on a table.
There was a US box plate, connected to a soldier's epaulet from the same war, and another small piece
of brass all connected by means of a couple old nails. Was this kept by an old veteran from the war, and did someone make this out of it? Why?
View attachment 347059
Keep in mind that the shoulder scales were also a part of the dress uniform for all branches:

dedication-ceremony-People-cemetery-Gettysburg-Pennsylvania-Battlefield-November-1863.jpg

After the war, members of my wife's g-g-grandpaw's 3rd Georgia V.I. returned to Gettysburg. Rooting around the fence along the Emitsburg Road where they found items that members of the regiment lost. They had cowered for cover there on day before Pickett's charge.....Don't you wish you could have been a little birdie sitting on the fence & listened to what they had to say?
Just an observation, but I doubt any of the members of the 3rd Georgia would have classified their actions on July 2 as "cowering for cover." :nah disagree: The regiment reported 192 casualties -- 14 Killed, 121 wounded, including at least 66 mortal, severe, and/or requiring amputation, and 52 missing/captured.
1582248805775.png
1582251031728.png

Last edited:
Just an observation, but I doubt any of the members of the 3rd Georgia would have classified their actions on July 2 as "cowering for cover." :nah disagree: The regiment reported 192 casualties -- 14 Killed, 121 wounded, including at least 66 mortal, severe, and/or requiring amputation, and 52 missing/captured.
View attachment 347753View attachment 347755
What an excellent post, actually, cowering along the fence is what they did. Just like the men who followed them the next day, they got stuck behind the fence along the Emmitsburg Road. They went to ground in the swale of ground where so many of Pickett's casualties & prisoners took cover. They couldn't go forward & couldn't go back. They had no choice but to cower, i.e., stay low & get away or surrender as best they could. It is not a pejorative term. It was the 3rd's "success" that informed Lee's decision to make the copse of trees the focus of Pickett's attack. My wife's GGGrand lost just about every boy he grew up with in that disaster.

blester1905.jpg

Benjamin Lester, private, Co A, 3rd Georgia Volunteer Infantry, 1905. The lump under his right eye is a piece of metal. He was known as "the only man who came home whole." He was with the regiment in every battle of the AoNV & signed papers at Appomatox.

Condensed History of the 3rd Georgia Volunteer Infantry By Charles H. Andrews-Company Regimental Historian

Gettysburg, July 2nd

"The Command to the right of Wright's Brigade had not advanced as far as we had, & the Command on the left had not advanced at all! Thus, Wright's Brigade was driven into the Federal position like a wedge, & exposed on the right & the left. The enemy quickly moved in on both flanks & enveloped the Command. Discovering that we were being trapped, the 3rd Ga. was forced to retire over the same ground that it had driven the Federals. In this retreat, the 3rd Ga. lost more men than in the advance... particularly prisoners. the men were much exhausted by the rapid advance over nearly a mile of ground, the terrific fighting, & the scorching July sun. Exhausted by the rapid retreat, many men fell into the hands of the enemy. As the 3rd Ga. began to retire, every Federal sprang to arms & their artillery was again manned & pouring dreadful fire into the thinned ranks of the Regiment with telling effect. Wright's Brigade went into the fight with about 1,500 men & came out with about 600. The 3rd Ga. made the charge with 600 men & came out with about 200. The extreme left company (Co.G) went in with 45 muskets & came out with only 7! A good part of the night was spent seeking between the picket lines for dead & wounded comrades & conveying them to hospitals or tenderly burying them & marking their graves."

Last edited:
What an excellent post, actually, cowering along the fence is what they did. Just like the men who followed them the next day, they got stuck behind the fence along the Emmitsburg Road. They went to ground in the swale of ground where so many of Pickett's casualties & prisoners took cover. They couldn't go forward & couldn't go back. They had no choice but to cower, i.e., stay low & get away or surrender as best they could. It is not a pejorative term. It was the 3rd's "success" that informed Lee's decision to make the copse of trees the focus of Pickett's attack. My wife's GGGrand lost just about every boy he grew up with in that disaster.

View attachment 347776
Benjamin Lester, private, Co A, 3rd Georgia Volunteer Infantry, 1905. The lump under his right eye is a piece of metal. He was known as "the only man who came home whole." He was with the regiment in every battle of the AoNV & signed papers at Appomatox.

Condensed History of the 3rd Georgia Volunteer Infantry By Charles H. Andrews-Company Regimental Historian

Gettysburg, July 2nd

"The Command to the right of Wright's Brigade had not advanced as far as we had, & the Command on the left had not advanced at all! Thus, Wright's Brigade was driven into the Federal position like a wedge, & exposed on the right & the left. The enemy quickly moved in on both flanks & enveloped the Command. Discovering that we were being trapped, the 3rd Ga. was forced to retire over the same ground that it had driven the Federals. In this retreat, the 3rd Ga. lost more men than in the advance... particularly prisoners. the men were much exhausted by the rapid advance over nearly a mile of ground, the terrific fighting, & the scorching July sun. Exhausted by the rapid retreat, many men fell into the hands of the enemy. As the 3rd Ga. began to retire, every Federal sprang to arms & their artillery was again manned & pouring dreadful fire into the thinned ranks of the Regiment with telling effect. Wright's Brigade went into the fight with about 1,500 men & came out with about 600. The 3rd Ga. made the charge with 600 men & came out with about 200. The extreme left company (Co.G) went in with 45 muskets & came out with only 7! A good part of the night was spent seeking between the picket lines for dead & wounded comrades & conveying them to hospitals or tenderly burying them & marking their graves."
Is Benjamin Lester your wife's GG Grandfather?

Back