The Unlikely Hero

jules

Cadet
Has anyone read Michael Korda's "The Unlikely Hero?" It's a book I've had on my want-list. However, this evening the local C-Span channel was showing Korda talking about his book, and I didn't hear a thing from him that I haven't read in several other books. (Childhood experiences, remote mother, mouthy father, the tannery, his drinking, well-known facts about his military career, presidency, etc. If someone has read it, what did you think of it?

Strange. Some of my posts seem to be disappearing into the great vacuum of cyberspace.

In any case, oh, sorry. Yes, the book is about Grant...interesting how recognizable he is, isn't it? I was hoping it would contain something new, or at least new to me, but I don't think it does. In fact, given the massive amount of published writing on the more well-known Civil War generals, the battles, and various regiments and armies, there may be nothing-new-under-the-Civil-War-sun. I was reading tonight that by 1939, 3,958 books about Abraham Lincoln had been published, (one of which carries the interesting title of "Abraham Lincoln, The Friend of Man His Life Was Another Drop in That Vat Where Human Lives, Like Grapes in Gods' Vintages, Yield the Wine That Strengthens the Spirit of Truth and Justice in the World.") Wow, and to think I wasted my time on "Lincoln and His Generals."

Back