The United States Navy Museum's Warehouse

Story

1st Lieutenant
So this floated up to the top of my newstream bowl

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/insid...s2-ECb9FMwHY9tMIl6zWU6OVyrFyOZFcy8Dmcursn_MRg

Transcript
https://news.yahoo.com/inside-look-u-navys-huge-125109552.html

While there's only some Naval commissions signed by President Lincoln and possibly a pair of Dahlgrens that are Civil War content, I suspect much more period interest items will be on display... eventually.

The 7 acre warehouse proper is in Richmond VA but they make it sound like the new display will be in the DC area
http://www.usnavymuseum.org/Plan_Visit.asp

Extremely doubtful there will be a display in Richmond. The warehouse is on a closed facility at the Defense General Supply Center. Civilians need not apply. The focus for NHHC (the Naval History and Heritage Command, formerly NHC, Naval Historical Center) is on their new National Museum of the US Navy. The current museum on the Washington Navy Yard is a bear to get access to. Civilians can get in, but there are hoops and parking to contend with. The Navy traded some of its property for property next door to the Yard. That is where the new museum will be. It is a short walk from the Nationals Stadium. The current museum is fascinating; it is kind of a throw-back to the way the old Smithsonian was, but a bit more organized. The new museum should be fantastic.

Here are some photographs from the Naval History and Heritage Command's Collection Management Facility in Richmond, VA. When I photographed there I wasn't looking for specifically CW related material, thus I have little of that to share. However, these illustrate the point of the original post. Brief captions, in order: (1) entrance. (2) a panorama of one of three storage bays. There are three of these things, each is just about 1,000 feet long. (3) A more recent image shows how the majority of artifacts are stored. Each crate is inventoried, numbered, and has a warehouse "address" to be quickly found. (4) There are at least two Dahlgrens there. Somewhere I have their details. (5) Some ammunition. Not all the pallets are labelled with their sources, those can be found in the master index, so I cannot provide detailed information on the images. (6) They have bells. Lots and lots and lots of bells. (7) This bell is from USS Colorado. The accompanying photo shows it circled in red in about 1910. (8) They have ships' wheels. (9) This is a rangefinder from the WWII German cruiser Prinz Eugen. (10 and 11) The facility just doesn't store material, they have a fully functional conservation laboratory.

CMF 1.JPG

CMF 2.jpg

CMF 3.JPG

CMF 4.JPG

CMF 5.JPG

CMF 6.JPG

CMF 7.jpg

CMF 8.JPG

CMF 9.JPG

CMF 10.JPG

CMF 11.JPG

In my first reply I noted that the Navy instead of setting up displays in Richmond is focused on its new National Museum of the U.S. Navy. Here are some shots from the current museum with CW related imagery. There are many displays of weapons lining the streets of the Navy Yard with a concentration in front of and on the main approach to the Museum. The historians refer to them as the "Petting Zoo."

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

_JMC2854.JPG

_JMC2856.JPG

_JMC2862.JPG

_JMC2866.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

Back