The Union started the War at Fort Sumter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natty

Banned
"On December 6th, 1860, in recognition of the Sovereignty of the States of the South, the United States Government entered into a solemn Armistice with the officials of the State of South Carolina and on January 29th, 1861, the United States Government then entered into yet another solemn Armistice with the officials of the State of Florida. Both of these agreements were officially filed with the United States War and Navy Departments. In these agreements, the United States agreed not to attempt any reinforcement of Fort Sumter, Fort Pickens, the entire State of South Carolina and Florida. In return, the Confederate authorities agreed that there would be no attack on the Forts occupied by Union Forces as long as the agreements were observed to the letter. It was also understood by these agreements that any violation would be considered an act of war between the Confederacy and the United States. Additionally, it was understood by these agreements that any person visiting these fortifications, or areas covered by these agreements, with the intent to advise, plans, supply, reinforce or strengthen the fortifications that it too would be considered an act of war under the officially recognized and signed agreements."

"On December 6th, 1860, in recognition of the Sovereignty of the States of the South, the United States Government entered into a solemn Armistice with the officials of the State of South Carolina and on January 29th, 1861, the United States Government then entered into yet another solemn Armistice with the officials of the State of Florida. Both of these agreements were officially filed with the United States War and Navy Departments. In these agreements, the United States agreed not to attempt any reinforcement of Fort Sumter, Fort Pickens, the entire State of South Carolina and Florida. In return, the Confederate authorities agreed that there would be no attack on the Forts occupied by Union Forces as long as the agreements were observed to the letter. It was also understood by these agreements that any violation would be considered an act of war between the Confederacy and the United States. Additionally, it was understood by these agreements that any person visiting these fortifications, or areas covered by these agreements, with the intent to advise, plans, supply, reinforce or strengthen the fortifications that it too would be considered an act of war under the officially recognized and signed agreements."

Complete fabrication. There was no such agreement. If you think there was, then by all means produce it.

Regards,
Cash

Natty, it would be helpful when you drop quotes like this if you would identify who/what you are quoting. Google helped me track this one back to a... surprise, surprise... bullscata Libertarian posting.

By the way, it ain't true.

ugg didnt we go over this in the last thread...Provide sources and maybe we will pay more attention to these BS threads....:hatecompu

Well, this sort of thing happens periodically. I recall a language school once, where one of the attendees asserted that EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS ENGLISH, IF YOU SPEAK IT SLOWLY AND LOUDLY ENOUGH. In some dark recess, I suppose, there are those who assume that if you repeat the same propaganda over and over (close your eyes and try not to think of Orwell), that it will convince even the wildest skeptic.

But life isn't thus; we've been given the ability to read and react logically and rationally if we choose. It is the rational bit that seems to send people right up a wall. Not everyone of course; there are a couple of posters here with whom I do not see eye-to-eye (some seem "northern" some seem unabashedly "southern"), but their posts are thoughtful, well researched, and generally unemotional. I enjoy those, particularly when they challenge.

This .... though reminds me of when my daughter would draw unicorns: "But they're real!" she'd insist. She's since learned to read and the topic no longer comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back