NF The Ultimate Civil War Series

Non-Fiction
Cleburne's father was a landowner and physician, a trade Pat intended to follow until failing the entrance exam to medical school. (However, he retained an interest in medicine, eventually becoming an apothecary in America.) Apparently feeling dishonored because of failing he joined the local British Regiment (42d Foot?) intending to "escape" to India. Ironically, the regiment's orders changed at the last minute, leaving him stationed not far from home - not his intention at all! Still, he proved to be good military material, rising to the rank of corporal before purchasing his discharge. His father had died, leaving the family in financially strained circumstances, so they decided to immigrate to America as a group, arriving in New Orleans. The family were Protestants and settled in the South and Midwest so were spared a lot of the anti-Irish and anti-Catholic prejudice prevalent throughout the North at the time. There have been many threads here on the forums concerning his unpopular and therefore suppressed scheme to recruit and arm slaves.

Makes sense , his family home was for sale a few year back and it looked like he came from a wealthy enough family.

In County Cork in Ireland , lovely part of the world aswell. I must stop by the house next time I’m nearby.
It certainly is a beautiful house that indeed belies the term cottage. I had seen a small photo of it in a biography but it failed to convey the size of the place; of course with its many modern "improvements" it's likely it looks little like it did when the Cleburnes were in residence. The accompanying article contains several errors though: Cleburne didn't fle[e] to the UK where he joined the British army. It wasn't necessary to go anywhere - the unit he joined was stationed nearby as garrison troops and were projected to transfer to India. He certainly spent more time here after immigrating too, and not within a year becoming a Confederate general. He knocked around the Mississippi River valley for a while visiting towns where siblings had settled before moving to Helena, Arkansas where he went into the dry goods business, becoming an apothecary on the side. He next became a lawyer and went into partnership with Thomas C. Hindman, a volatile friend who would also become a Confederate general, and was seriously and almost fatally wounded in a political brawl alongside Hindman.

pwZ15BbWU3MDE0NzI4NDk@._V1_UY150_CR2,0,101,150_AL_.jpg

Yes, Ultimate Civil War Series is still available on Prime

I do not like "Ultimate" in Any title.

However, this TV series is Not the Ken Burns Civil War series.

I use the Ultimate Civil War Series as a quick review for Civil War reading.

Given certain caveats, I do recommend Ultimate Civil War Series

Back