The UDC sets the record straight! Or somewhat straight.

J. Horace

Corporal
Found this booklet in some of my grandfather's papers. The booklet was issued by the UDC entitled: "Errors and Omissions in Text-Books on American History."

The New England slave trade was quite interesting.

On Reconstruction: "No wonder the world misunderstands today the repudiation of the accumulated extravagances of the corrupt State carpetbag-scalawag governments which were forced upon a prostrate people by a Congress then under the control of "Vindictives" or "Radicals."
udcbooklet1.jpg

udcbooklet2.jpg

udcbooklet3.jpg
udcbooklet4.jpg
udcbooklet5.jpg
udcbooklet6.jpg
udcbooklet7.jpg

udcbooklet8.jpg

Last edited:
Found this booklet in some of my grandfather's papers. The booklet was issued by the UDC entitled: "Errors and Omissions in Text-Books on American History."

The New England slave trade was quite interesting.

On Reconstruction: "No wonder the world misunderstands today the repudiation of the accumulated extravagances of the corrupt State carpetbag-scalawag governments which were forced upon a prostrate people by a Congress then under the control of "Vindictives" or "Radicals." View attachment 174461
View attachment 174462
View attachment 174463 View attachment 174464 View attachment 174465 View attachment 174466 View attachment 174467
View attachment 174468

Great to see this posted.

Here is a thread on another UDC pamphlet on which books should be used to educate Southern children about the war and Reconstruction.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/di...oks-appropriate-for-students-in-south.142036/

udcsc.JPG
In understanding the prevalence of the Lost Cause historiography of the Civil War, the role of the UDC is a key. The Dunning School was important in crafting an academically defensible narrative, but the UDC did battle in state after state to insure that books reflecting that school's interpretation were adopted.

On propaganda.
Thanks for your response.
I was thinking about something like, read, research and comment on the main points: is the interpretation factual?
It is common to use the word 'propaganda' but one wonders how students might react to the challenge of analyzing what some of us believe to be the real thing. Would they agree?

Back