Perryville The U.S. Sanitary Commission at Perryville.

On October 12, 1862 - four days after the Battle of Perryville, Dr. A. N. Read (inspector for the commission) arrived in the vicinity of the battlefield. What he found was gut wrenching.

“CARE OF THE WOUNDED AT PERRYVILLE.

The following report just received from Dr. A. N. Read, Inspector United States Sanitary Commission, will be read with much interest by all, and especially by those having friends among the wounded in this recent battle:

On arriving at the scene of action, we were the first to bring relief when help was needed more than tongues can tell.

Instead of 700, as first reported, at least 2,500 Union and rebel soldiers were at that time lying in great suffering and destitution, about Perryville and Harrodsburg. In addition to these, many had already been removed; and we had met numbers of those whose wounds were less severe, walking and begging their way to Louisville, eighty-five miles distant. …

We found the first hospital for the wounded at Macksville; this was a tavern with sixteen rooms, containing 150 wounded, thirty sick, mostly from a Wisconsin regiment, Colonel Starkweather’s. Twenty-five were on cots, some on straw, and others on the floor with blankets. The cooking was all done at the fireplace, with two camp kettles, and a few stewpans. The ladies of the town were, however, taking articles home and cooking them, thus giving great assistance. From this place to Perryville, some then miles, nearly every house was a hospital. At one log house we found twenty of the 10th​ Ohio, including Major Morre and Captains Bently and Marmion. At another house we found several of the 63d Ohio.—The family was very poor, but doing all in their power for those in their charge. The old woman promised to continue to do so, but said with tears in her eyes, she feared they themselves would starve. As at the other houses, the sick had no regular medical attendance. I therefore prescribed for them, and left them medicines.

After dark reached Perryville, Mr. Thomas giving his place in the buggy to a young soldier whom we found laying by the way side, sick and unable to walk. I saw him placed in a hospital.

Dr. Marks, of the 10th​ Wisconsin, was at Perryville. He received us kindly, took care of our horses, and gave us shelter. We slept on the floor.

In the morning he secured for me two rooms which were put in order. Here a United States Sanitary Commission sign was placed over the door and the three loads of goods opened and soon after, the twenty-one ambulances arrived loaded with our stores. At the same time came Dr. Goddard and Mr. Forsdick, from Louisville, Dr. Davis, and Mr. Johnston, from Cincinnati, all of whom rendered efficient services.

Surgeons were then notified that stores could be had, and they were rapidly given out. I should here state that at this time the wounded were all very dirty, their clothing unchanged, very few having straw or other bedding, and some without blankets, others without shirts. Even now, five days after the battle, many were being brought in from the fields or temporary places of shelter, with their wounds not yet dressed. Every house was a hospital, all crowded, and very little to eat. At the Seminary building there was some fresh mutton and a large kettle in which soup was being made. I left at this house a box of bandages, pads and dressing, also a keg of good butter, and sent them comforts, shirts and drawers. Three days after, at this hospital, I found that the surgeons had improvised bedsteads, and had provided comfortable beds for all their patients from the stores of the Sanitary Commission.

Leaving Dr. Goddard to superintend the further distribution of supplies, on the 14th​ I went with Mr. Thomason to Danville. We here found the wants of the sick as great as those of the wounded at Perryville. The Court House was literally packed, the yard full, and more coming.—Many of them had eaten nothing during the day, most of them nothing since morning. I asked if soup could be made. The surgeon thought not, but kindly gave me authority to get it if I could. Mr. Thomason introduced me to some good Union men, through whose assistance I was enabled to succeed in the effort. It was now five o’clock. There was no beef in the city, but a butcher agreed to bring in an animal, kill it, and have it ready in two hours.—There was no water in town. The wells were all dry, but he sent for water in barrels. There were no kettles for sale, all having been taken by the rebels; but at last one was found in a private family, and another was discovered two miles out of the city, owned by Mr. John J. Craig. He sent that in, with some wood, saying that he should not want it until hog-killing time, and would lend it. There were no pails to be had, but I bought some covered firkins with handles, a washtub, and a spade. I then dug trenches, and laying stones with my own hands, set the kettles. I made a fire of some old boards found in the Court House yard, and at half past ten o’clock I had the satisfaction of seeing two 32-gallon kettles of nutritious and palatable soup ready for distribution. This was given out, but by other hands than mine, as by this time I was completely exhausted. The remainder of the beef was brought in the morning, and the kettles kept hot.

… From Danville I went to Crab Orchard the advance of the army, to examine the condition of our troops—particularly those of the new levy—in camp. I found them suffering severely from their hardships and privations, and already over ten percent are unfit for duty, and demand our most active exertions for their relief.”

Back