The U.D.C monument to Confederate soldiers at Shiloh National Battlefield

farrargirl

First Sergeant
Baldwin County, on the Alabama Gulf Coast
First visit to this historic battlefield. Posting this set of photos I took last week while there. @16thAL , these don’t qualify for your “off the beaten path” super golden thread, but I have some that do :+))....

The marker is very well done, explaining the symbolism of it’s various components...,
8A7F95CF-8C81-4409-9109-15A1***5D311.jpeg

Some close-ups of the quality of the statuary monuments :
AC2159F3-62ED-4CD0-B06F-28EA617D1A0D.jpeg

1E40A046-F7C7-41A5-A856-069E91837453.jpeg

5470B51A-8846-4A11-9DCE-DA56F4F33451.jpeg
Hmmmm....maybe a three part panel..
29BAC893-8D8B-4DCF-BF2D-20B37B2A321E.jpeg
Lastly the beauty of the language of the times. On back..
6B1CF0EA-C7F0-4AF8-8EC2-7A8B3810677D.jpeg

Congratulations on your very nice photos. You obviously have wonderful talent with a camera.
Regards
David
Glad you went behind the monument as so many never get out of their cars
Thanks so much, David. I do dabble a little with photography. Hardest part of taking these photos was the bending and contorting required!

And another thing that endures that beautiful monument is Mrs. Inge placing the lock of hair from General A.S. Johnston in the cornerstone . Thanks for posting that monument in detail as you did .
I did not know that! Can you imagine how many monuments those hard-working UDC women funded during the post war period? And, sadly, how many have now been demolished or “warehoused”.....

The UDC Confederate Monument is a unique and moving memorial to 40K plus men who are mainly unknown and unmourned. The UDC ladies worked hard and long to amass the vast sum of $50,000 to pay for the design and erection of this moving testament to the valor and devotion of Confederate soldiers to their country's cause.

Here are some sites that may be of interest to you in your search for additional information about this remarkable symbol to the "Lost Cause" by the real strength of any nation, its women. I especially like the SNMP Facebook site as a source of all things related to the Battle of Shiloh.
Regards
David

And another thing that endures that beautiful monument is Mrs. Inge placing the lock of hair from General A.S. Johnston in the cornerstone . Thanks for posting that monument in detail as you did .
That’s amazing to know! How did you know that? I can’t any info on that on the plaque.

"After beginning construction in 1916, the monument was dedicated on May17, 1917. Inside the cornerstone of the monument, the UDC placed state flags from each Confederate state, Confederate money, a replica of the Confederacy's official seal, as well as a lock of Albert Sydney Johnston's
hair."*
Regards
David

* Our Country's Firey Ordeal

The UDC Confederate Monument is a unique and moving memorial to 40K plus men who are mainly unknown and unmourned. The UDC ladies worked hard and long to amass the vast sum of $50,000 to pay for the design and erection of this moving testament to the valor and devotion of Confederate soldiers to their country's cause.

Here are some sites that may be of interest to you in your search for additional information about this remarkable symbol to the "Lost Cause" by the real strength of any nation, its women. I especially like the SNMP Facebook site as a source of all things related to the Battle of Shiloh.
Regards
David

Thanks, David! The Facebook group is very impressive...as is all the data you have shared.
I actually read about 5 or 6 years of those Historical Battlefield Reports from the Sec. of War. you mentioned. I saw the $50,000 in one, and also noticed how from year to year, the report on those 12 Confederate burial trenches just gradually ceased to be reported on....

First visit to this historic battlefield. Posting this set of photos I took last week while there. @16thAL , these don’t qualify for your “off the beaten path” super golden thread, but I have some that do :+))....

The marker is very well done, explaining the symbolism of it’s various components...,
View attachment 390721

Some close-ups of the quality of the statuary monuments :
View attachment 390722
View attachment 390723
View attachment 390724Hmmmm....maybe a three part panel..
View attachment 390725Lastly the beauty of the language of the times. On back..
View attachment 390726
I'm especially moved by the central figures in this monument, and in particular the surrender of the laurel wreath of victory to death.

It is very poignant.

The naming of the monument is significant - "Defeated Victory" - and I think represents quite well the shock and surprise of the Confederates, perhaps the shame in defeat, and the purposeful position of the Union.

The beauty of the language on the plaque stands out to me as well.

Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful images, @alan polk . Mississippi monuments are turning out to be by far my favourite.

Back