The Tuttle Dove

I almost thought I got through this last visit with no weirdness, but realized at the airport that there had been something very ... unexpected. But I am not ready to talk about this one yet. I've told my mother, a couple of people who I'd met with while I was there, and one person on this board. I haven't even told my kids about it. I need to digest this one for a while before I talk about it, but let's just say I had better do an amazing job on this book I'm writing, because I think someone I don't know is taking an interest in it.

As I one told @NH Civil War Gal, who runs the paranormal forum, I don't want to write about it, but if you ever get a few beers into me some day, I might just loosen up. I didn't believe in ghosts before I started delving into the Civil War, but I sure do now!
Thanks for sharing what you have already.

Check your PMs.

Vey interesting @Gary Morgan .

I had never seen or head of this unique grave stone.
It's way in back and the graves are so close there that from a distance, it blends in with the graves behind it, so I think that unless you were specifically looking for it, or going to visit someone who died fairly late in the camp's existence, you wouldn't see it. The NPS does have a webpage on it, but again, unless you were specifically looking for references to the dove, you would probably never come across the web page.

https://www.nps.gov/ande/learn/historyculture/tuttle-dove.htm

I'm kicking around the idea of putting together a booklet on points of interest in the cemetery - with this many photos, I could probably do a decent job of it. There's a soldier there from every war except the War of 1812, and even a single Confederate soldier (a post-war transplant at the request of his descendant). Maybe I'll toss up some other cemetery photos on a separate thread later, but right now, I have to dash before I'm late for summer school....

Thank you. I appreciate that. I actually was so startled by the fact that I couldn't get my kindle to work that I took out my camera and made a video of it putting everything I tried to open back on the shelf, but I think it's too big to attach here and I don't want to put it on Youtube. It worked fine again once I got to the airport.
I guess in a common vein, I will tell you about my 1972 sighting a close encounter with a UFO on the banks of the James River late one night, if you let me in on your secrets. Especially now that UFO's have made headline news and I won't be threatened again with a cart-off to the insane asylum!:banghead:
Lubliner.

I guess in a common vein, I will tell you about my 1972 sighting a close encounter with a UFO on the banks of the James River late one night, if you let me in on your secrets. Especially now that UFO's have made headline news and I won't be threatened again with a cart-off to the insane asylum!:banghead:
Lubliner.
I can relate. When I DO say tell things like the events mentioned above, I always worry that A) People will think I'm a nut job; B) they won't take the Raiders book seriously because I wrote things that no one else says and hey, I say that all these things happen, but all these things go against the standard, 150 plus year old version of events, so how reliable can my scholarship be, especially given the fact that I am a "cross-gender" writer? When I finally told the publisher I was a woman, he wanted to put my actual name, even if it was just my initial and last name on the cover, because he worried that people might be "angry" when Gary showed up for talks wearing a bra and skirt (among other things!), but since it's an open secret, it's never been an issue (and my scholarship is rock solid and obsessively documented, so good luck to anyone who wants to challenge it), and C) they might think I was making it up to draw attention for the book.

But to quote a former US president "It is what it is." If someone asks directly about paranormal experience, I will tell the truth, which is what happened in this thread, but how much I tell is in direct proportion to how well I know you and how much I trust you.

But I'm still not telling on the Tuttle Dove. The person responsible for that kept it to themself, and I'm not sure that they'd want it to come out. I've only ever told one person who it was and how the dots all connect.

As far as your UFO goes, that sounds way scarier than my experiences! Closest I came to a UFO was driving down the road one summer night, I saw a ball of light streaking up the sky, then four streaks of light shot out of it and it disappeared. One the news the next day they announced that it was some kind of rocket launch on Cape Cod - not a typical place for rockets, but apparently a lot of people had been phoning it into the news stations.

I can relate. When I DO say tell things like the events mentioned above, I always worry that A) People will think I'm a nut job; B) they won't take the Raiders book seriously because I wrote things that no one else says and hey, I say that all these things happen, but all these things go against the standard, 150 plus year old version of events, so how reliable can my scholarship be, especially given the fact that I am a "cross-gender" writer? When I finally told the publisher I was a woman, he wanted to put my actual name, even if it was just my initial and last name on the cover, because he worried that people might be "angry" when Gary showed up for talks wearing a bra and skirt (among other things!), but since it's an open secret, it's never been an issue (and my scholarship is rock solid and obsessively documented, so good luck to anyone who wants to challenge it), and C) they might think I was making it up to draw attention for the book.

But to quote a former US president "It is what it is." If someone asks directly about paranormal experience, I will tell the truth, which is what happened in this thread, but how much I tell is in direct proportion to how well I know you and how much I trust you.

But I'm still not telling on the Tuttle Dove. The person responsible for that kept it to themself, and I'm not sure that they'd want it to come out. I've only ever told one person who it was and how the dots all connect.

As far as your UFO goes, that sounds way scarier than my experiences! Closest I came to a UFO was driving down the road one summer night, I saw a ball of light streaking up the sky, then four streaks of light shot out of it and it disappeared. One the news the next day they announced that it was some kind of rocket launch on Cape Cod - not a typical place for rockets, but apparently a lot of people had been phoning it into the news stations.
I guess the scarier part of my UFO experience was due to Fort Eustis being close, it being a very foggy night, and the idea that whatever it was could also have been a military secret from the Vietnam War era on training exercises. As to how it happened, it hovered over the river in the fog as I sat with another friend high up on the bank within the woodline. Suddenly a light shone out of the UFO directed toward us, and instinctively I arose and started down the trail in the woods leading away from the river; but the hovering craft decided to follow us, and the sound of something akin to a big helicopter square above me as I ran down the trail, illuminating the eerie glow of fog with its searchlight, and remaining above for quite some distance was unnerving. Maybe it was just a helicopter with revolving lights, duplicating an oval, with a directional spotlight that could meanwhile pierce the dark confines we were in. I was afraid the thing was going to come down on our heads, regardless of the trees. Crash boom bang, end of story.
Lubliner.

I guess the scarier part of my UFO experience was due to Fort Eustis being close, it being a very foggy night, and the idea that whatever it was could also have been a military secret from the Vietnam War era on training exercises. As to how it happened, it hovered over the river in the fog as I sat with another friend high up on the bank within the woodline. Suddenly a light shone out of the UFO directed toward us, and instinctively I arose and started down the trail in the woods leading away from the river; but the hovering craft decided to follow us, and the sound of something akin to a big helicopter square above me as I ran down the trail, illuminating the eerie glow of fog with its searchlight, and remaining above for quite some distance was unnerving. Maybe it was just a helicopter with revolving lights, duplicating an oval, with a directional spotlight that could meanwhile pierce the dark confines we were in. I was afraid the thing was going to come down on our heads, regardless of the trees. Crash boom bang, end of story.
Lubliner.
Dang! Your experience was way scarier than mine! I've never really felt afraid at Andersonville, it was just a lot small things that made me go, "Whoa, that was STRANGE!"

I'm kicking around the idea of putting together a booklet on points of interest in the cemetery - with this many photos, I could probably do a decent job of it. There's a soldier there from every war except the War of 1812, and even a single Confederate soldier (a post-war transplant at the request of his descendant). Maybe I'll toss up some other cemetery photos on a separate thread later, but right now, I have to dash before I'm late for summer school....
I hope you will write this little book, @Gary Morgan. If I ever get to Andersonville, I'll want to read it before visiting the cemetery.

@Gary Morgan I would say 'Creepy' is a good definition for your encounter. Make peace with it is what I did as a child when experiencing ghosts; 'Yes, I believe, yes I believe, O God!' under my breath a dozen times. I feared disbelief as mortal.
Lubliner.

@Gary Morgan I would say 'Creepy' is a good definition for your encounter. Make peace with it is what I did as a child when experiencing ghosts; 'Yes, I believe, yes I believe, O God!' under my breath a dozen times. I feared disbelief as mortal.
Lubliner.
Not "Creepy." With creepy there is a sense that something bad is about to happen. I never felt that.

Back