The Time Trial of John Brown

Do you therefore consider the Confederates terrorists as well?

I am currently reading Help Me to Find My People The African American Search for Family Lost in Slavery By Heather Andrea Williams.

The first part of the book includes many accounts of little children being taken away from their parents to be sold by one white person to another white person. There are also accounts from children who learned of their parents being sold away without warning. Really wrenching stuff. Stories in there of white men bragging about raping the black girls they purchased. Stories of owners killing the children of black women because they cried too much.

A white child disappears and everyone goes looking for it. A black child disappears and the answer is "she was sold." Same act of kidnapping the child from its parents, but only the kidnapping, rape, or torture of the white child was a crime. That is not "race baiting", that is a fact.

Boy, cavalry came and brought Buford and the regulars. Discussion going differently than usual this last page.

No disclaimers necessary here! ' Slavery ' ( in italics because I'm sorry, it is not possible for a human being to genuinely be a slave- the kidnapper can say their kidnap victim is a 'slave', until the cows come home and take over the chicken's place when they want to come home to roost, ' slave' is a one-sided term only signifying there's a victim around here somewhere- or 4 million ) was a crime agreed upon. So massive a scale was it that this gargantuan lie everyone told each other about how ok it was, ' owning' humans, that it was required of an entire society they bolster each other up. All that does is drive the ugly further inward like puss around deep splinters.

Really got shrieked at here when I first joined for posting a comment about being convinced a lot of ' owners ' knew perfectly well these people living elbow to elbow with them were exactly the same, humans, people - no difference, of course the inane justification was this difference, how fortunate an entire race was to have white folks caring for them. Handy, justifies treating them as less than human although being that abusive to an animal would have gotten you arrested. Still think that. Against so massive and obvious a fraud Brown's actions have always looked to me frantic. Seemed as if Brown felt abolitionists were screaming into the wind, went pop.

Really got shrieked at here when I first joined for posting a comment about being convinced a lot of ' owners ' knew perfectly well these people living elbow to elbow with them were exactly the same, humans, people - no difference, of course the inane justification was this difference, how fortunate an entire race was to have white folks caring for them. Handy, justifies treating them as less than human although being that abusive to an animal would have gotten you arrested. Still think that. Against so massive and obvious a fraud Brown's actions have always looked to me frantic. Seemed as if Brown felt abolitionists were screaming into the wind, went pop.

Now I ain't sayin' it's right or it's wrong
But maybe it's the only way
Talk about your revolution
It's Independence Day

I can't help but feel it bears thinking about.

Really doesn't make sense. Discussing John Brown in the context of terrorism isn't going to get us anywhere because the label didn't exist then.
I would say that Brown in Kansas was very much a terrorist in the modern definition. He used terror and violence in order to produce political change. Now that being said, his actions were as the result of terroristic crimes being committed against free soilers.

Now I ain't sayin' it's right or it's wrong
But maybe it's the only way
Talk about your revolution
It's Independence Day

I can't help but feel it bears thinking about.

Boy Howdy. Well, while it's here then one more thing. Why our fellow citizens were not allowed, it could get them beaten or killed, to look a white person in the eye? Pretty sure it was because the white person saw a human being looking back. No one was going to risk that.

Back