The things you find when you're not even really looking.

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
IMG_20180904_104347460_HDR.jpg

Anahuac,Texas, population 2,376,is the county seat of Chambers County, Texas. It is about 35 miles from where I live. I was there once 15-18 years ago on business,but it was a quick in-and-out trip. Had to go back down there on business on September 4 and had a little time to poke around afterwards. Turns out Chambers County is named after Thomas Jefferson Chambers,who was a member of the Texas Secession Convention in 1861 and held a couple of other important offices in early Texas history.

Great photos even with the cell tower:cold:

Also in Anahuac is the preserved medical office of Dr. N.T. Schilling. According to the historical marker,he was born in Bavaria in 1845,immigrated to the U.S. with his parents and "...Served In The Civil War(1861-1865) As A Youthful Volunteer In The Maryland Cavalry". He afterwards became a doctor and moved in 1874 to a community about 20 miles from Anahuac and established his doctor's office. His daughter kept the office after he died. When she died,the structure was donated to Chambers County and was moved by barge to Anahuac.

IMG_20180904_104501170_HDR.jpg

I was in Galveston on business at the Galveston County Courthouse on the morning of October 18. When my business was concluded,I went to a coffee shop on 61st Street in Galveston. There are a couple of cemeteries nearby that are visible from 61st Street. I know I walked one of them earlier this year. There was quite a bit of traffic on 61st Street that morning and I didn't wanna go back that way to get to Broadway to go back to my office in Pasadena,Tx. I turned at the road running by the cemetery on 61st Street to take the back streets to Broadway. I didn't know Lakeview Cemetery was down that street. What caught my eye was some kinda historical ceremony going on there. It wasn't a Civil War ceremony and it looked like a class from a nearby school was there with adults for the ceremony. I didn't go to the ceremony but I did drive the outer public roads of the cemetery and then I spotted it...a Confederate gravestone. A little ways down the street was the entrance where the signs are that I posted above. All I had with me to take pics was my cellphone. I gotta go back soon with my camera and more time.

There is a Confederate burial section at Lakeview Cemetery but there are also other Confederate gravestones scattered around that area of the Cemetery. If you zoom on the stones,you can see a brief description of the soldier's service at the bottom. I gotta go back there and get better pics.

IMG_20181018_102123324.jpg

IMG_20181018_102046962.jpg

IMG_20181018_102005226.jpg

One of the most intriguing things about Lakeview Cemetery in Galveston is that there is a Union burial section there too and the stones there also have a brief description of the soldier's service at the bottom. I really need to go back there for better pics.

IMG_20181018_101838276.jpg

IMG_20181018_101801947.jpg

A famous Texan is buried there. Apparently had a distinguished miliary career in the Texas Revolution and Army and was a Confederate Officer, probably a Quartermaster.

IMG_20181018_102726345.jpg

One of the most intriguing things about Lakeview Cemetery in Galveston is that there is a Union burial section there too and the stones there also have a brief description of the soldier's service at the bottom. I really need to go back there for better pics.

View attachment 209703

View attachment 209704

You do find the coolest stuff when not expecting to- August Greich, vet in the Union grave hadn't been in our country for very long. He was a German immigrant, enlisted in Philly, in the 16th PA Cavalry- AND surviving Andersonville, settled in Texas. 1880 he's still a blacksmith, married with children. Whoa. So immigrant, joined the war, lucky enough to survive then settled in , contributing to the country. Cool stuff.

Co. K, 16th PA Cavalry

gleich august.JPG

gleich august 2.JPG

1880, three kids, 9, 6 and 2 year old Augusta.

You do find the coolest stuff when not expecting to- August Greich, vet in the Union grave hadn't been in our country for very long. He was a German immigrant, enlisted in Philly, in the 16th PA Cavalry- AND surviving Andersonville, settled in Texas. 1880 he's still a blacksmith, married with children. Whoa. So immigrant, joined the war, lucky enough to survive then settled in , contributing to the country. Cool stuff.

Co. K, 16th PA Cavalry

View attachment 209747

View attachment 209746
Very nice find. Thank you posting that. I visited Andersonville in June. That made finding his gravesite in Galveston even more interesting. He musta lived quite a life.

Also in Anahuac is the preserved medical office of Dr. N.T. Schilling. According to the historical marker,he was born in Bavaria in 1845,immigrated to the U.S. with his parents and "...Served In The Civil War(1861-1865) As A Youthful Volunteer In The Maryland Cavalry". He afterwards became a doctor and moved in 1874 to a community about 20 miles from Anahuac and established his doctor's office. His daughter kept the office after he died. When she died,the structure was donated to Chambers County and was moved by barge to Anahuac.

View attachment 209680

any idea which maryland cav that was? i'm compiling a list of bavarian cavalry in the war
smilie_flag_284.gif

Attachments

• smilie_flag_284.gif
    smilie_flag_284.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 37

Co. K, 16th PA Cavalry

View attachment 209747

View attachment 209746

thx, stolen for my bav cav list
smilie_flag_284.gif

Attachments

• smilie_flag_284.gif
    smilie_flag_284.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 44

Attachments

• smilie_flag_284.gif
    smilie_flag_284.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 36
Back