The Tennessee Monument at Shiloh National Military Battlefield

farrargirl

First Sergeant
Baldwin County, on the Alabama Gulf Coast
This incredible tribute to Tennesseans, including the 23rd Regiment, was completed in the late 1970’s. The work was awarded to a Texan, Mr. Gerald L. Sanders, who died in 2007. Here is a partial obituary from the on-line Legacy links and from F.AG.:
B049D8DA-0C75-4B1D-B18C-F52CEC3260BC.jpeg

289D13B3-E588-47CE-BA9A-2088FAF46C67.jpeg

1A7898D1-A97D-41C6-86BA-38322B93CA39.jpeg

As in the Mississippi monument, Sanders has captured the emotions of the day v.i.a. facial expressions.

4BDF1650-3ABD-43F8-96FE-04857AB119DD.jpeg

It's amazing that so many Tennesseans remained with the Army of Tennessee to the very end. Their homes in Federally occupied Tennessee was a prize that was often just out of reach. Of all the times the Southern army struck back into the state to try and regain its army's namesake, but were defeated, many of the men in the ranks could just have taken "walking furloughs," never to return if they so desired. But most did return to the ranks to fight again and again, often under generals who, to borrow a phrase from the late Thomas Lawrence Connelly, "they distrusted or hated." The Shiloh monument is a fitting tribute to those men I think. Thank you for posting!

@Quaama the Federal government and the Department of the Interior in particular have not made any measures to remove, replace any Confederate monuments, markers, graves or flags at this time in any of the National Parks.
" NPS managesits Confederate-related assets in the context of its statutory mission to preserve historic and cultural resources unimpaired for future generations. NPS engages in interpretation and education about these symbols."*

Hopefully the nation will realize the American Civil War is part of our cultural history and leave well enough alone. 🙏
Regards
David

Confederate Symbols: Relation to Federal Lands and Programs

@Quaama the Federal government and the Department of the Interior in particular have not made any measures to remove, replace any Confederate monuments, markers, graves or flags at this time in any of the National Parks.
" NPS managesits Confederate-related assets in the context of its statutory mission to preserve historic and cultural resources unimpaired for future generations. NPS engages in interpretation and education about these symbols."*

Hopefully the nation will realize the American Civil War is part of our cultural history and leave well enough alone. 🙏
Regards
David

Confederate Symbols: Relation to Federal Lands and Programs

Your link noted and thank-you for it. Regrettably, irregardless on any "constraints" (as mentioned in that link) the provisions in HR7608 are quite clear in Section 442 where it says:
"Notwithstanding any other provision of law or policy to the contrary, within 180 days of enactment of this Act, the National Park Service shall remove from display all physical Confederate commemorative works, such as statues, monuments, sculptures, memorials, and plaques, as defined by NPS, Management Policies 2006, §9.6.1."

That bill has passed the House and if enacted into law [which seems quite likely] then "all physical Confederate commemorative works" shall be removed, and done so within 180 days. There is no provision within that bill for any exceptions.
The beauty of a particular monument will now save it from such a law.

I just hope all the monuments'...descriptions (including photos and videos), histories, dimensions, materials of construction, proper location, etc. are well documented and recorded somewhere. My fear is that the Confederate monuments will indeed come down in the National Parks. Unfortunately, I think putting our trust in any kind of "common sense" being able to prevail during this time period is a forlorn hope.

That was one of our stops during the muster last year and Mr. DeBerry has some really great comments as he was part of the team that got it done.

It's amazing that so many Tennesseans remained with the Army of Tennessee to the very end. Their homes in Federally occupied Tennessee was a prize that was often just out of reach. Of all the times the Southern army struck back into the state to try and regain its army's namesake, but were defeated, many of the men in the ranks could just have taken "walking furloughs," never to return if they so desired. But most did return to the ranks to fight again and again, often under generals who, to borrow a phrase from the late Thomas Lawrence Connelly, "they distrusted or hated." The Shiloh monument is a fitting tribute to those men I think. Thank you for posting!
You are welcome. I thought about the same thing. For a non-border state, Tennessee had it’s share of folks who, no doubt, were very conflicted about this war, especially in the mountainous East Tennessee regions....

Gorgeous! What a beautiful photo.
When you come back to Shiloh you need to take a photo of the 2nd Tennesse's Monument. JamesN has posted a much better photo than mine but I can't locate it now.
Regards
David

View attachment 392593
Thank you, David. I love your photo! Somehow, I missed this one, and Gen.Gladden’s monument. I think we were trying to get out before they locked the gate...

A truly fine monument and a great final photo as pointed out by @rebel brit above.The monument in shadows framed by the bare trees and the red sky is great.
Hopefully, it is one monument that is able to escape the current purge on such things.
Thank you,Quaama. I flamed the sky with a kind of “scorched earth” feel to it. That said, those men stood tall and proud, in the midst of the desecration of their own Tennessee hearths and homes...
David @Ole Miss answered your other comment....that is most comforting to know.

Sadly you are quite correct. The mania to rewrite history that offends some is beyond any my ken. Hopefully common sense will prevail but any great nation always falls from inner rot.
Regards
David
At the risk of veering off my thread (🤪) , my son bought home yesterday’s paper, The Mobile Press Register.
This was front page:
A01D4C9B-977F-45A3-84F1-77C1E7513106.jpeg

The 2nd page went on to describe the process by which these National Statuary Hall selections are made at the U.S. Capitol. Each state can contribute two selections. The item of interest here is regarding the State of Virginia. For 111 years, their selections were Pres. Georgia Washington, and Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Whenever it is completed, the 16 yr-old girl who went on strike at her high school ( 10 years before the de-segregation laws were passed ) , will be Virginia’s new contribution. I believe they still intend to keep Pres. George Washington.....

Sadly you are quite correct. The mania to rewrite history that offends some is beyond any my ken. Hopefully common sense will prevail but any great nation always falls from inner rot.
Regards
David
well said, politicians, = inner rot!!!

Back