The Tebbs Bend Battlefield (Green River Bridge : John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail Tour)

* Tebbs Bend Battlefield Tour Map.

IMG_20170815_134359.jpg

Here's why I love this thread. I own the watch pictured here, that was presented in 1862 to then Sergeant, and eventually to be First Lieutenant James A. Sage of the 25th Michigan Infantry (a.k.a., the "Green River Boys," sounds like a bluegrass band), Colonel Orlando Moore's regiment, by his Company B. Lt. Sage served through much of the war, eventually suffering a serious thigh wound during the Battle of Utoy Creek (Part of the Battle of Atlanta), which ended his military career, but not his life, in August, 1864. He moved down to Georgia some time after the war and helped found the town of St. George, but ended his days at the National Soldiers Home in Johnson City, TN.

I figure I was meant to own his watch, as Lt. Sage and I share the same birthday, March 20.
That is really cool; first, does the watch still operate; second, what is the keyhole; third, no spring?
Lubliner.

That is really cool; first, does the watch still operate; second, what is the keyhole; third, no spring?
Lubliner.
Hi, yes the watch still operates. The key hole is for winding the watch. The key looks like a skate key, only smaller. The same key fits into a small square on the center post carrying the hands on the dial side, for setting the hands.

That watch is currently on display as part of the "Timeless Testaments: Civil War Watches and the Men Who Carried Them" special exhibit at the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors Museum in Columbia, PA, about 40 miles from Gettysburg. The exhibit runs until January 30, 2020.

Hi, yes the watch still operates. The key hole is for winding the watch. The key looks like a skate key, only smaller. The same key fits into a small square on the center post carrying the hands on the dial side, for setting the hands.

That watch is currently on display as part of the "Timeless Testaments: Civil War Watches and the Men Who Carried Them" special exhibit at the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors Museum in Columbia, PA, about 40 miles from Gettysburg. The exhibit runs until January 30, 2020.
Thank you,
Lubliner.

Back