The Story of Tabasco Sauce

I am a fan of hot sauce, but not so much for Tabasco as I feel it taste more like vinegar then pepper.my favorite hands down is Cholula as it has a much smoother taste not as much vinegar.they use two different peppers in Cholula which are Arbol and Piqun which I feel makes it that you can drink it right out of the bottle.also for Buffalo Wings "Franks" is the best.

Thanks donna for bringing this back up. I've been a fan of Tabasco all my life, liked Louisiana Hot Sauce too, but now I want to try Cholula (never heard of it til now). And speaking of salsa, IMHO, Pace makes an excellent HOT salsa, way better than the mild or medium salsa they fill the shelves with.

My 6th great grandmother was Mary McIlhenny (1709-1797) I have wondered if she was related to the Avery Island folks but have not been able to make a connection.

I also love tabasco. My Mom used it only sparingly, but I put it on and in a lot of dishes.
My brother told me to try it on pizza and that is so great! Now I add tabasco and capers on nearly every pizza I put in the oven!

Y'all might enjoy this little film on how Tabasco is being made:
I loved that video FF.
If you're ever in South Louisiana, a visit to Avery Island is a must see destination.

Last edited by a moderator:
The founder of Tabasco Sauce was Edmund McIlhenny (1815-1890) who was a New Orleans banker. In 1850s he was given some dried peppers that were acquired in Mexico during the Mexican American War. A soldier gave them to him and said to try them in his food. McIlhenny saved the seeds and planted them in his wife's garden on Avery Island.
Great thread.

I always did wonder how those Mexican peppers ended up in Louisiana. Thanks for giving us "the rest of the story"!

A dash of hot sauce peps up an egg, And a Bloody Mary and a bowl of chili.

A good friend of mine, and yours, gets whacky with hot peppers.

Now I like bit of heat in this 'n that, but I draw the line well before ghost pepper jam. French toast is not meant to make youe eyes melt.

Back