The Story of Iverson's Pits

I believe the construction of the park roads relocated the stone wall that concealed Baxter's troops .

Today the wall seems pretty small for all those troops to have hid behind . My understanding is the original location ran along the ridgeline east of the present location .

Thank you, JEB, I had wondered about that.

Iverson did well at Chancellorsville? That's so intriguing. And it doesn't fit, like something happened to the guy. There's another story at Gettysburg, guy just quit, stuck his head in a rolled up carpet. Officers couldn't budge him. Maybe there's some piece of people that just breaks somewhere- these battles were brutal beyond what we can imagine even with all the first-hand descriptions.

Iverson did well at Chancellorsville? That's so intriguing. And it doesn't fit, like something happened to the guy. There's another story at Gettysburg, guy just quit, stuck his head in a rolled up carpet. Officers couldn't budge him. Maybe there's some piece of people that just breaks somewhere- these battles were brutal beyond what we can imagine even with all the first-hand descriptions.

Iverson had a fairly successful career before Gettysburg and hadn't lacked for bravery, being wounded twice while leading his men in battle, first at Gaines Mill and later at Chancellorsville.

It's impossible to know what was going on in his head at Gettysburg, but it is possible that previous injuries may have left him rattled. Today he may have ended up diagnosed with PTSD. Of course, that's just speculation..but it's clear that Iverson wasn't the same man at Gettysburg than he had been at Gaines Mill.

Iverson had a fairly successful career before Gettysburg and hadn't lacked for bravery, being wounded twice while leading his men in battle, first at Gaines Mill and later at Chancellorsville.

It's impossible to know what was going on in his head at Gettysburg, but it is possible that previous injuries may have left him rattled. Today he may have ended up diagnosed with PTSD. Of course, that's just speculation..but it's clear that Iverson wasn't the same man at Gettysburg than he had been at Gaines Mill.

I'd only just heard, as in last week, he'd been the hero of Chancellorsville and just bore no resemblance to the Iverson at Gettysburg, none. It does make you think, good grief- and more than fair to not feel it to be speculation he had some huge event occur. You know, you go through the years remarking things like " Iverson's Brigade ", being a little careless about the whole thing because not once did I ask, " Now, why? " Nope. Then someone posted these past battles by the man.

How does PTSD and the severe shock suffered by our Civil War soldiers not become applied across the board? Little shocking not to have done it myself. No one can know what any of these men endured- these ' lead from the front ' generals must have thought themselves dead 100 times in each battle then 100 more before the next. Their talk and writings were generally of glory and honor and bravery , certainly they were brave and honorable but allowably shattered, too.

Back