"The stone-wall" at foot of Marye's Heights held by Cobb's B

tmh10

Major
35116v.jpg

• Title: "The stone-wall" at foot of Marye's Heights held by Cobb's Brigade, C.S.A., Dec. 13, 1862
  • Date Created/Published: photographed 1862, [printed between 1880 and 1889]
  • Medium: 1 photograph : albumen print on card mount.
  • Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-35116 (digital file from original item, bottom right) LC-B8151-5047 (b&w film copy neg.)
  • Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
  • Call Number: LOT 4165-G, no. 15 [P&P]

Nice picture. Apart from the stone wall, it gives you a nice idea of the sort of roads all those guys had to march through, doesn't it?
Not sure of your point,Patrick. The wall is the point of the picture is it not? On the other hand you may be a creature like me that looks beyond the picture and tries to find the deeper meaning.

Not very tall at the far end. If you were a 6' man, you'd get shot!

I had the opportunity to visit the current wall with a man who is blind. He held my arm and he had been there so many times he could describe where we were. Awesome.

Not sure of your point,Patrick. The wall is the point of the picture is it not? On the other hand you may be a creature like me that looks beyond the picture and tries to find the deeper meaning.
Hi, Ted,
It seems like any unit history that I read--or any first person account for that matter--frequently talks about the awful condition of roads during the war. So here we do see a nice perspective photo of the wall, but it is impossible to miss that rough area running along in front of it. It's easy for me to imagine that becoming a sticking, sucking mess in day-long rain. I've hiked through enough muddy fields to know what an ordeal a forced march would be over roads like that.
I was just musing.

Hi, Ted,
It seems like any unit history that I read--or any first person account for that matter--frequently talks about the awful condition of roads during the war. So here we do see a nice perspective photo of the wall, but it is impossible to miss that rough area running along in front of it. It's easy for me to imagine that becoming a sticking, sucking mess in day-long rain. I've hiked through enough muddy fields to know what an ordeal a forced march would be over roads like that.
I was just musing.
Good point, Patrick. I think a lot of people that study this time in history have a hard time understanding what a problem mud was in those days.

35116v.jpg

• Title: "The stone-wall" at foot of Marye's Heights held by Cobb's Brigade, C.S.A., Dec. 13, 1862
  • Date Created/Published: photographed 1862, [printed between 1880 and 1889]
  • Medium: 1 photograph : albumen print on card mount.
  • Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-35116 (digital file from original item, bottom right) LC-B8151-5047 (b&w film copy neg.)
  • Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
  • Call Number: LOT 4165-G, no. 15 [P&P]
Very cool you have found one I didn't have! thanks! That should be the Innis house with the stephens house a little further down the road where conf gen Thomas Cobb was killed
stephens-house.jpg

Great pics thanks for sharing

My great grandfather was with the 24th Ga at that wall. There isn't much wall left today.

Reactions: Lee
Back