Discussion The State of Alabama makes a claim to make the protect of the Clotilda

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Lubliner

First Sergeant
Interesting bit of history for 1860, with 110 slaves being received by Timothy Meaher, who also owned the ship; it was an investment. As for artifacts, I believe the Captain of the vessel, William Foster and his crew would strip Clotilda bare before she was set on fire. Other than that, it gives me a wonder if the Africans had in their possession anything considered valuable to a primitive tribesman. I am sure the descendants would consider these as precious items even today. Just think of the link it gives them to their past.
Enjoyed it, @wbull1,
Lubliner.

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Effort must be made to preserve slave ship and its history
By Ben Raines Los Angeles Times (TNS)
Jul 23, 2019

The wreck of the Clotilda, the last ship to transport enslaved Africans to the United States, sits entombed in mud at the bottom of the Mobile River in Alabama. It is the only ship from the American slave trade ever found. In fact, out of more than 20,000 vessels that participated in the global slave trade, only 13, counting the Clotilda, have been found.

I found the Clotilda in April 2018 with a team from the University of Southern Mississippi, though the discovery was not announced publicly until this May. The ship is an artifact of international historical significance. But I worry that my home state of Alabama — which owns the wreck and will control what happens to it going forward — could squander the opportunities presented by the ship, either because of financial challenges or a failure to understand its importance.

We cannot let that happen. Protecting and preserving it should be an immediate national priority. If our divided and dysfunctional Congress is too crippled to act, then the private sector must rally around to save the Clotilda.

Full article can be found here - https://www.omaha.com/news/nation/effort-must-be-made-to-preserve-slave-ship-and-its/article_07934166-2fcd-560e-ae6b-d0f98873c34d.html

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

wbull1

First Sergeant
Official Vendor
Effort must be made to preserve slave ship and its history
By Ben Raines Los Angeles Times (TNS)
Jul 23, 2019

The wreck of the Clotilda, the last ship to transport enslaved Africans to the United States, sits entombed in mud at the bottom of the Mobile River in Alabama. It is the only ship from the American slave trade ever found. In fact, out of more than 20,000 vessels that participated in the global slave trade, only 13, counting the Clotilda, have been found.

I found the Clotilda in April 2018 with a team from the University of Southern Mississippi, though the discovery was not announced publicly until this May. The ship is an artifact of international historical significance. But I worry that my home state of Alabama — which owns the wreck and will control what happens to it going forward — could squander the opportunities presented by the ship, either because of financial challenges or a failure to understand its importance.

We cannot let that happen. Protecting and preserving it should be an immediate national priority. If our divided and dysfunctional Congress is too crippled to act, then the private sector must rally around to save the Clotilda.

Full article can be found here - https://www.omaha.com/news/nation/effort-must-be-made-to-preserve-slave-ship-and-its/article_07934166-2fcd-560e-ae6b-d0f98873c34d.html

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
Thanks for the update