Collection The start of the collection

I didn't know that - about the "drag" I mean. I don't want to sell it but what is this thing worth? After all, I've spent 9/10ths of my life protecting it!

I didn't know that - about the "drag" I mean. I don't want to sell it but what is this thing worth? After all, I've spent 9/10ths of my life protecting it!
There are those, on here, that are much more knowledgeable on swords, but from attending shows and collecting for over 25 years I would give it a value of around $750-850, possibly more. Provenance and condition are everything and the blade has some issues, but that scabbard is worth at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the value. Whenever you remove the blade, make sure you do it on a table horizontally, you will keep the integrity of the leather intact.

Figure that average imports with beat up scabbards go for $400-$450.

Again just my humble opinion, but a very nice piece to be treasured.

Please ask for me! There is no way I'm getting back down to Virginia/Maryland area till early next summer.
I asked and was told a somewhat humorous story, Elton was apparently a fairly well known detectorist, who hunted Trevilian for over 30 some years. He opened a museum to show off the collection, something I was told, was really a way to have the digging, become a tax write off. Not sure if this is true, but I've heard the same before, with other collections.

Wow, the sword is fantastic and desirable Ames for $10 even in 1972! The drag speaks volumes as it was likely worn by an officer who was vertically challenged and "dragged" it along the ground. The scabbard alone is worth a pretty penny these days.
This is an aside, but (although I don't think it happened in this case) new soldiers and officers in the French Napoleonic armies were known to deliberately file the drags of their sabers to make it appear they had seen more service than was the case!

I asked and was told a somewhat humorous story, Elton was apparently a fairly well known detectorist, who hunted Trevilian for over 30 some years. He opened a museum to show off the collection, something I was told, was really a way to have the digging, become a tax write off. Not sure if this is true, but I've heard the same before, with other collections.

Thank you so much for asking! I really appreciate it!

Back