Collection The start of the collection

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
This is a tiny start. I did get into trouble at the Horse Soldier. Only @captaindrew knows what I got and he better NOT spill the beans till I get it! I've made the first payment and will make the last payment in early October and will receive it and post it as soon as I get it. I went to Germantown, MD this past week and had 3 full days to myself. I only had to be home at night to make sure the grand-nieces weren't partying or having friends over. So the first day, which was 96, I went into Frederick and back to the National Museum of Civil War Medicine (for the 4th time). I regretted not getting this glass last December.

IMG_4579.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

I found this funny little cannon at a consignment shop in Damascus, MD and they guy said he wanted $3.00 - SOLD! Does anyone know anything about it?

I did go to Gettysburg again, the 2nd day, and this time was able to do Round Top and Devil's Den (and the Horse Soldier). Cool, Misty, atmospheric day.

When my Horse Soldier thing comes in, I will post that, the shell pieces I got in Winchester, and my bullets.

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4576.JPG

Can't wait to see what you got! Horse Soldier has fantastic artifacts, though I think some are way over priced...

Well, it isn't the $15,000 spurs OR the $65,000 Zouave Uniform! My husband would be calling :help::help::help:!

I did question them on the price of horse bits though. They said, it was what the market would bear to a degree and then the bits with the US boss on the sides is collectible in itself and then the background of the boss' changes, etc, and I didn't know that. So just in the bit boss' there is a whole world of collecting. I asked because they had a Liverpool Driving bit in the backcase for $200.00 and that design has been around for an extremely long time. I asked specifically because unless one of the Gods of the CW had it, I just don't see the price justified for it.

Well, it isn't the $15,000 spurs OR the $65,000 Zouave Uniform! My husband would be calling :help::help::help:!

I did question them on the price of horse bits though. They said, it was what the market would bear to a degree and then the bits with the US boss on the sides is collectible in itself and then the background of the boss' changes, etc, and I didn't know that. So just in the bit boss' there is a whole world of collecting. I asked because they had a Liverpool Driving bit in the backcase for $200.00 and that design has been around for an extremely long time. I asked specifically because unless one of the Gods of the CW had it, I just don't see the price justified for it.
Some of their stuff is astronomically high, nowhere near the range of what a similar artifact would go for. That being said, they have some fantastic identified items I would love to get my hands on. They also usually have extremely rare Naval artifacts that no other dealer tends to possess. But the Zouave uniform.... Yeah if I had an extra house to sell, I would buy that...:bounce:

Some of their stuff is astronomically high, nowhere near the range of what a similar artifact would go for.
@Michael W. is spot on. In the future if you will tell us what you are looking for we can help you get it at a decent price.

@Michael W. is spot on. In the future if you will tell us what you are looking for we can help you get it at a decent price.

That is awfully nice! I'm glad you made the offer! I didn't want to ask before, because well, I didn't want to seem like I was taking advantage of CWT friendship or something. You'll see what I got when mid-October rolls around.

This is a tiny start. I did get into trouble at the Horse Soldier. Only @captaindrew knows what I got and he better NOT spill the beans till I get it! I've made the first payment and will make the last payment in early October and will receive it and post it as soon as I get it. I went to Germantown, MD this past week and had 3 full days to myself. I only had to be home at night to make sure the grand-nieces weren't partying or having friends over. So the first day, which was 96, I went into Frederick and back to the National Museum of Civil War Medicine (for the 4th time). I regretted not getting this glass last December.

View attachment 325847

View attachment 325850

I found this funny little cannon at a consignment shop in Damascus, MD and they guy said he wanted $3.00 - SOLD! Does anyone know anything about it?

I did go to Gettysburg again, the 2nd day, and this time was able to do Round Top and Devil's Den (and the Horse Soldier). Cool, Misty, atmospheric day.

When my Horse Soldier thing comes in, I will post that, the shell pieces I got in Winchester, and my bullets.

View attachment 325851
View attachment 325852
I think ballast during that period would be primarily rocks . That said it looks very similar to a souvenir cannon I bought as a kid over 50 years ago . Nice little piece that brings back lots of memories .

Some of their stuff is astronomically high, nowhere near the range of what a similar artifact would go for. That being said, they have some fantastic identified items I would love to get my hands on. They also usually have extremely rare Naval artifacts that no other dealer tends to possess. But the Zouave uniform.... Yeah if I had an extra house to sell, I would buy that...:bounce:
During one of our annual September To Remember CWT Gatherings I was looking at their common regulation-type firearms and of course passed on them all; it wasn't hard because when I got home I intended to buy - and did! - a similar-condition Colt M.1849 Pocket Model at my favorite regional antique gun dealer's for about two-thirds of what I believe it would cost there!

Back