Collection The Spieles collection of Civil War artifacts

Oh, so I have a cabinet card. Mine is way bigger than CDV dimensions. That's bugging me now, who wrote that stuff? He was dead the winter he resigned.

"Who wrote that stuff?!? " The back of the cabinet card (circa 1880-1890) was written by O. E. Harmon (See where it's written "Compliments of O. E. Harmon")
Who is O. E. Harmon, you ask? Well, first off he is the son of Asa Harmon. So what you may say?
Well, his father Asa was Chaplain of the 3rd Michigan Cavalry. Bingo! It's a match!
Read more below about the Harmons.
(By the way, the photo is of Capt. Collins Davis. You have the name reversed.)

Gettysburg Relics had a sale, so my brother got some stuff for me for Christmas, and I spent a few bucks on some items for myself. Hey, when stuff goes on sale, take advantage!

Items from:

Devils Den

Culps Hill

Fairfield Road

Pickett's Charge

and a bullet from the Bill Gavin collection were purchased. I'll put pictures up of my stuff when it get's here, but the other stuff will have to wait...

By the way, do any of y'all collect arrowheads?

Exciting new additions!

DSC_0491.jpg

From left to right:

Bill Gavin personal find from Camp Santee, Hills Corps, near Corbin Virginia

Rosensteel collection, found by famed early Gettysburg relic hunter, John Cullison, In the field of Pickets charge, close to the Emmitsburg road fence.

Bullet found on the Hankey farm, Robert Rhodes division field hospital. North Carolina buttons were found in the same area as this bullet, so either Iversons or Daniels brigades were treated there.

They could be, but as you see, they could also be reprinted in any quantity desired. I have an autographed postwar cabinet card in my collection that was obviously made from a much smaller CDV showing Union general John Newton that I've posted before:

View attachment 336000

It's no less a wartime image - I believe it was made around the winter of 1862-63 - but was reprinted for Newton sometime after cabinet cards became popular in the 1870's-1880's. He autographed and dated it on the back 1888 after retiring from having been Chief Engineer of the U. S. Army:

View attachment 336002

I cannot make out the last word in his quote; " The likeness is genuine but is not ___" What'd he say??

I cannot make out the last word in his quote; " The likeness is genuine but is not ___" What'd he say??
I believe the aging Newton was showing a bit of vanity: Originally it read "The likeness is genuine but not now good." He must've thought better of that, changing it to read "... but is not good" as if to deny the effects of aging!

It's been a while, but here's some new additions.

DSC_0825.jpg

This Sharps bullet was found by Mike R. (Long, difficult name, besides, the man needs his privacy), in the 1980s, on the Gaines Mill Battlefield.

DSC_0826.jpg

.69 Cal. roundball, found in the path of the Union retreat at Second Manassas, near Fairfax Station.

DSC_0828.jpg

.54 Cal. minie ball, found by Mike R. in the 1990s, at Cedar Creek, the site of the 1864 battle near Winchester.

DSC_0829.jpg

Case shot found by Mike R. (He gets around, doesn't he?) at Cold Harbor.

DSC_0830.jpg

Found by William Reger, in the 1960s, at White Oak Swamp.

DSC_1014.jpg

10 lb. Parrott shell piece from Excelsior Field, Gettysburg. It was found by John Cullison, and was part of the Iva Rosensteel collection.

DSC_1062.jpg

.69 Cal. or larger bullet, found at Pea Ridge Arkansas.

DSC_1065.jpg

.57 Cal. Enfield, found at Gettysburg, most likely on Seminary Ridge, as that's where most of the other bullets in the orginal collection came from.

DSC_1067.jpg

Gettysburg bullets found by Don Hinks.

DSC_1082.jpg

20 Lb. parrott shell and Polygonal shell frag found at Utoy Creek Georgia.

DSC_1083.jpg

Sharps Carbine bullet, found on Little Round Top, several yards below the stone wall where Co. B, 20th Maine and several of Berdans Sharpshooters were posted.

DSC_1084.jpg

20mm Eagle button found in a reserve area behind Little Round Top.

Back