The Spangler Orchard

Jules362

Cadet
I'm not sure where to put this, but since I can't find what I'm looking for, this seems like as good a place as any. I thought I saw a thread on this forum not too long ago that said something about the Spangler orchard having been purchased recently....but I can't find it now.

Today I was doing some reading about the Lincoln assassins and noticed that Edman/Edmund Spangler was born in York County, Pennsylvania. Since Gettysburg is located in Adams County, with York county being on it's eastern border, I'm wondering if there was any connection between Edmund Spangler and the people who owned the orchard?

Not sure on that one Jules. I don't remember a thread about that, but there are alot of threads, and I have not even cracked the surface on many of them. However, I will use what knowledge of the field I have to answer your first, and what I know of Edmund Spangler to answer the second.

As to the first, there were two, IIRC, Spangler farms on the battlefield. Both were owned by Henry Spangler, though I am not sure if they were one and the same person (if anybody does know off the top of their heads, let me know; I will do my best to find out later if not.) However, both of these sites are well within the bounds of what is today Gettysburg NMP, so it is doubtful that any orchard associated with either of these farms has been sold into private hands. I will have to look that up though.

As to your second question on Ned Spangler. I am not sure if he is related, though it may be a possibilty. Spangler, IIRC, is a Germanic name, and the area of York and Adams counties are very much German in origin. Look at many of the names of families and sites around Gettysburg: Pitzer, Weikert, Brinkerhoff; very Germanic. So it is a possibility that they are relatives, distant or close, or it just might be that they have the same last name. I will do my best to find out though. I work of the Dr. Mudd House museum in Charles County, Maryland, where Spangler spent the last fifteen months of his life, and I am sure that I can dig something up somewhere. I will definitely get back to you on that.

Hope that helps somewhat!! :smile:

Spanglers

Not sure on that one Jules. I don't remember a thread about that, but there are alot of threads, and I have not even cracked the surface on many of them. However, I will use what knowledge of the field I have to answer your first, and what I know of Edmund Spangler to answer the second.
Hope that helps somewhat!! :smile:

I was thinking I read that it was a "George" Spangler that owned the orchard at Gettysburg...and since neither you nor I can find that thread here, perhaps I read it somewhere else and just thought it was here. I'll look forward to reading more about this.

I must say, after reading that article, there was a thread talking about that farm somewhere in here, and I do remember reading it. However, where to find it is another issue.

I did forget about the George Spangler farm, which was a Union field hospital and the site where Brig. Gen. Lew Armistead died from wounds received during Pickett's Charge. It was up for sale by the owners, and it has been purchased so that it can be preserved for future generations. Thanks for the article Clewell!!

Back