The South Recruits Freemen

byron ed

2nd Lieutenant
How can serving your own interests become genuine loyalty to anyone else...

That's just about the point that the author cited earlier here was making ...that black deserters from the USCTs can't fairly be classified as deserters in the usual sense because in their view they had merely traded one overseer for another overseer. And now being told they were free of course had to mean that they were free to leave -- who will deny the logic of that from their perspective? Meanwhile military protocol was a white man thing; a formality compared to the life-and-death decisions of the sort black men and women were making at the time.

Last edited:

18thVirginia

Major
The evidence I've read suggests that a combination of loyalty to their specific middle tier position, fear of internal threats to that position, and external threats to their homes, did compel them to voluntarily enlist into the ranks of the CSA (who promptly rejected them).

I don't think that's a stretch; but I hardly consider my level of research the last word on the subject.

Was that evidence from historians who'd read the letters and papers of the CSA Louisiana National Guard enlistees in the original French? I ask because several of the historians that looked at the North Louisiana black Creoles or the history of placage and some on the legal cases involving slavery found different information than that usually promoted by historians that simply mention Louisiana in a larger discussion about the era.