Discussion The South as a Nation State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rïmer

Private
I tried to post this in anther section but it was not approved. I will try and post it here before giving up.

While studying early Southern journals and books I concluded that the South was founded as a Nation State. I would argue that since the Southern States entered into the Union as Nation States that the North had no right to convert them into multinational states. Lincoln made it clear that his main aim was to preserve the Union – not free the Slaves. To argue that the cause of Slavery was the main reason the South fought is a tad bit disingenuous – although perhaps in some measure technically correct. There are varies different issues surrounding Slavery: 1.) That there was a large group of Africans who did not belong to the Nation in which the State belonged too and 2.) The Nation was primarily Christian even if the State technically was not; and that Christians are bound to follow the Bible; and the Bible is both Nationalistic and pro Slavery. In my view then the word people, in the context of the X Amendment of the Constitution of the USA, means effectively the Nation. I would argue the Nation has the most power, the State next and the General Government of the States the least. The General Government being considered a necessary evil to preserve the various liberties and rights of the Nation and their States. The Southern argument was in effect that the North constituted its own Nation or Nations, and the South its own Nation.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!