The song "My Old Kentucky Home"

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Since there is thread on state songs, thought I give a little history of Kentucky's state song, "My Old Kentucky Home".

Federal Hill, known as My Old Kentucky Home, is located in Bardstown, Kentucky. It was the home of Judge John Rowan and reportedly served as the inspiration for Stephen Foster's minstrel song of the same name.

"Foster likely wrote "My Old Kentucky Home, Good Night" in 1852, which was published early the next year. It was written at the same time the novel, "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe was published and became an immediate transatlantic bestseller. That era's shifting societal views seemly had an impact on Foster and the subjects he covered in his songs. Written evidence proves that "Uncle Tom's Cabin" had a strong effect on Foster, as it did on many other Americans."

"Most people do not realize that the original title to "My Old Kentucky Home, Good Night" was "Poor Uncle Tom, Good Night". Instead of the line, "Then my old Kentucky Home good night," which ends each stanza, Foster's first handwritten manuscripts of the lyrics show that he wrote, "Den poor Uncle Tom, good night."

"In a 1936 article, "The Slavery Background of Foster's My Old Kentucky Home", printed in the Filson Club Historical Quarterly, Dr. Thomas D. Clark (one of Kentucky's most prominent historians) contends that Foster probably changed the title and lyrics to make the song more marketable to Southern customers, who despised Stowe's book. Minstrelsy was extremely popular throughout the United States during the 1850s, but especially so in the Southern states. Offending one's best customers is not the way to become rich in the music business; then or now."

"According to Clark, "Thus it matters little where "My Old Kentucky Home, Good Night" was written, but it is significant that it mirrors a most interesting background of the nation's history. It is significant, also, that the author's use of a title obscured his context sufficiently to cause Kentuckians, to whom Uncle Tom's Cabin was anathema, to take the song to their hearts and claim it as their very own."

"My Old Kentucky Home" was officially adopted as the state song in 1929. Some of the song's offensive original lyrics to many were updated in 1986."

Some other trivia on the song:

"My Old Kentucky Home, Good Night", was first performed by Christy's Minstrels in 1853.

Albert Pike, future Confederate General in Civil War, wrote an additional stanza to Stephen Foster's song in 1855.

Slavery stories from Kentucky made popular subjects for minstrel songs in the antebellum era such as this one.

From: Tim Talbott, "Federal Hill - My Old Kentucky Home," "ExploreKyHistory, accessed April 29, 2014, http://explorekyhistory.ky.gov/items/show/184

Since mention of Stephen Collins Foster today, thought bump this thread.

This song will be played at the Kentucky Derby, as it is the state song of Kentucky. I remember when we were in California for a while. I was watching the Derby and when they played and sang this song, it brought tears to my eyes. It has always been a very moving song for me.

I visited "My Old Kentucky Home" in 1971 and we camped nearby. A beautiful home. We used to sing this song in elementary school. It always made me proud to be from KY. And yes, I get tears in my eyes when I hear it played at the annual Kentucky Derby race.

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.
Some trivia for those interested: the boarding house in Asheville NC where the writer Thomas Wolfe grew up was named "Old Kentucky Home." In the novel Look Homeward, Angel he renamed it "Dixieland"

They decided to play this song today at the Derby. But going to make modifications to it. They need to leave songs, poems, books and art in their original forms. I think most of us realize literature or art was written at a different time. It reflects that time and we don't need to change what the author or artist did.

Our era is so presumptive and judgmental of people of the present and past. WE are not God. We need to be so much more tolerant of the past and realize it was a different time.

It is one of my favorite Stephen Collins Foster's songs. Love it the way he wrote it and all his great songs.

It is a beautiful home. I recommend a visit if any are in Bardstown. But Bardstown area has lots to see. Of course, one must eat at the old Talbott Tavern.

Also there is a great Civil War museum (along with two other museums and a historical village all for one money too )in Bardstown . I have been there twice now last year and the year before .

also in Bardstown is a stop on the Morgan Raid trail .

Right outside of Bardstown in a little community called Wakefield is where my great great great uncle Edwin "bad Ed" Terrell shot and killed Bill quantrill....

Back