Restricted The soldiers of the Southern Confederacy were as brave as could be, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
State's rights to slavery. Freedom from the North? How about freedom from slavery? Eh?

If it weren't for Northerners Florida would still be a backwater to a backwater; as Alan King said in Sunshine State, a place where white people eat catfish.
The pioneers that settled Florida (my ancestors) are some of the most self sufficient people in the US. And they didn’t have slaves. Slavery was an American business. We just simply wanted freedom to live our lives how we wanted without government interference from the North. That’s why we fought.

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
The pioneers that settled Florida (my ancestors) are some of the most self sufficient people in the US. And they didn’t have slaves. Slavery was an American business. We just simply wanted freedom to live our lives how we wanted without government interference from the North. That’s why we fought.
That's not what rebel leaders and their secession documents said and that's not what the rebel constitution said.

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
The US CONSTITUTION had slavery please add the correction.
Not in the same way as the CSA one. They added a number of "rules" protecting slavery explicitly. One make it clear that a state can not ban slavery within its borders...

So much for states rights.

W. Richardson

Captain
One can laud the courage of the men, but disaprove of the cause for which they fought.

UB I agree, and have never approved of the cause. I can separate honoring and remembering my ancestors for their bravery and not for the cause of slavery. That can also be conducted in public, as well as private. Unfortunately there are some who assume we can't honor or remember our ancestors bravery and courage without also honoring the cause of slavery.............That assumption is incorrect, and is based on agendas.

I can, do, and will honor and remember our American history and ancestors as well............the good, the bad, and the ugly, while also separating the good from the bad and ugly, but never hiding any of it, because it offends me.

Respectfully,
William
To post CWT.JPG

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
UB I agree, and have never approved of the cause. I can separate honoring and remembering my ancestors for their bravery and not for the cause of slavery. That can also be conducted in public, as well as private. Unfortunately there are some who assume we can't honor or remember our ancestors bravery and courage without also honoring the cause of slavery.............That assumption is incorrect, and is based on agendas.

I can, do, and will honor and remember our American history and ancestors as well............the good, the bad, and the ugly, while also separating the good from the bad and ugly, but never hiding any of it, because it offends me.

Respectfully,
William
View attachment 330734

A lot of people honor and remember American history despite what the US government did to the American Indians, I see no difference from that than honoring CS history.

Status
Not open for further replies.