Restricted The soldiers of the Southern Confederacy were as brave as could be, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
Forum Host
You don't have to agree with someone to admire them. I admire plenty of people who I disagree with. Confederate soldiers were(usually) brave, strong, and standing up for their homes. They served their country when called upon, which is quite admirable. I don't necessarily agree with the cause they were fighting for, but that was perhaps different from man to man, same as Union soldiers.

I wager a fair number on both sides were "voluntold" to be there by elders and parents. Many of them simply felt embarrassed not to anyway, even if not told to. Especially if all their friends were enlisting. Peer pressure is powerful.

There were plenty of poor men on both sides who signed up because they needed money, or for the "three square meals a day." Sleeping in an issued tent and eating rations probably beat sleeping in the open and hoping you can find some food. And at least you had a job for a while.

Of course there were the men who just wanted to kill people without the legal trouble involved, although those were probably few. I bet there were some who just wanted to shoot guns, regardless of what it was at. Some thought it looked fun or was an adventure. Some young soldiers were literally running from home, this was the easiest path to doing so.

There were no doubt Union soldiers who were just trying to "stick it to the Rebs" and Confederates who just wanted to "stick it to THE MAN," whoever that man might be.

Read the diaries. It's easy to say "Union soldiers were fighting to preserve the Union" and "Confederates were fighting for states rights/slavery/cause they were invaded." It's not that black and white when broken down. Those are reasons the ARMY is fighting, but not why the individual is there fighting.

Tin cup

Captain
We are a band of brothers
And native to the soil,
Fighting for the property
We gained by honest toil;
And when our rights were threatened,
The cry rose near and far--
"Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag
That bears a single star!"
CHORUS:
Hurrah! Hurrah!
For Southern rights hurrah!
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag
That bears a single star.
As long as the Union
Was faithful to her trust,
Like friends and like brothers
Both kind were we and just;
But now, when Northern treachery
Attempts our rights to mar,
We hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag
CHORUS
First gallant South Carolina
Nobly made the stand,
Then came Alabama,
Who took her by the hand.
Next quickly Mississippi,
Georgia and Florida
All raised on high the Bonnie Blue Flag
CHORUS
Ye men of valor, gather round
The banner of the right;
Texas and fair Louisiana
Join us in the fight.
Davis, our loved president,
And Stephens statesmen are;
Now rally round the Bonnie Blue Flag
CHORUS
And here's to old Virginia--
The Old Dominion State--
Who with the young Confederacy
At length has linked her fate;
Impelled by her example,
Now other states prepare
To hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag
CHORUS
Then cheer, boys, cheer;
Raise the joyous shout,
For Arkansas and North Carolina
Now have both gone out;
And let another rousing cheer
For Tennessee be given,
The single star of the Bonnie Blue Flag
Has grown to be eleven.
CHORUS
Then here's to our Confederacy,
Strong are we and brave;
Like patriots of old we'll fight
Our heritage to save.
And rather than submit to shame,
To die we would prefer;
So cheer for the Bonnie Blue Flag
CHORUS
All for slavery!

Kevin Dally

Ethan S.

First Sergeant
The United States was under no obligation to tolerate rebellion.

The story of the Confederacy ended in 1865. What is changing is how the story is told and the nature of the lessons to be learned. As for being American, at the time of the rebellion the Confederates were fighting to not be American; taking American by its common meaning of a citizen of or a person having allegiance to the United States. Gets kind'a twisty, don't it?

Regards

They were still American soldiers if you look at it. Lets say Lincoln never called up for troops. That would mean the seven states that left the union would be on there own. South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and the like could never survive on their own as a nation for long. They had cotton, and that was pretty much it. No nation could survive long with just that as their economy.

If Lincoln believed that they didn't "actually" leave the union, he should have just ignored them. If he did believe that they actually left, he should have ignored them. He dragged North Carolina, Virginia, Arkansas and Tennessee into the war.

Within a few years, the original seven seceded states would have been begging to be let back in, or face total destruction. I believe they would have come back as soon as Lincolns term was finished. But Lincoln made that mistake of calling up for troops. What would have happened had he not? It's a moot point because we'd never know.

I am done arguing with you guys. Believe "roots" if you want. Believe what you want, leave me out of it, and lets quit talking about why. It's the question why did it start? that will never be solved because we didn't live back then.

Good day.

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
There was not a whole lot of options concerning the Southern Man on fighting. Conscription was mandated and enforced on both sides, but the Yanks only felt the intrusive intimidation at Perryville, Antietam and Gettysburg. Many in Pennsylvania rebelled at the draft. The miners did not want to go under duress. Nobody did, North or South. But there was no escape to the encroaching Armies of destruction here in the South; no time of restful peace without worry. Not a heap of difference concerning fighting between the two, just motivation. And for the idea of having a purer Constitution of Freedom was how the South propelled its message, and most ears were willing to listen; yet to leave home, and family and go to war, I think was a brave enough act, either way.
Lubliner.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
And that "bug" is always going to be why Confederate soldiers had to be so brave and what they were being asked/told to fight for.

Bravery is not an uncommon virtue among soldiers of any army, past or present.

It's what they use that bravery for that always comes back to haunt those who ask them to employ that bravery in causes they think important and worthwhile.

Who are those?

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
We are getting off topic. So we they "engaged in a bad cause'?
All men are right in their own eyes so no they were not just like the Federals thought their Union was perfect. Rebs saw the Union as Federal control and they didn’t want it. Yes they had slavery but slavery was an international scourge. Northerners were just as racist on many levels.

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
I do agree with God, since God have no issue with slavery. (as long as it is not Israelites who are the slaves) sounds very Anti-Semitic!

One answer for you:
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee
The Battle of Fredericksburg

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
As a co-host here, I'm checking in today and I'm surprised it was four weeks from the time of the first original post to whatever went on yesterday to today. I'm seeing a lot of comments right on the edge of rudeness and I don't want to have to go get a moderator.

This forum is about Soldier's Tales, not about why they fought or 2/3 or slavery. Please take it over the Secession Forum for that.

And yes, it appears we do have some healing to do and name calling doesn't help. Don't make me go get the switch.

Tina

As a co-host here, I'm checking in today and I'm surprised it was four weeks from the time of the first original post to whatever went on yesterday to today. I'm seeing a lot of comments right on the edge of rudeness and I don't want to have to go get a moderator.

This forum is about Soldier's Tales, not about why they fought or 2/3 or slavery. Please take it over the Secession Forum for that.

And yes, it appears we do have some healing to do and name calling doesn't help. Don't make me go get the switch.

Tina

Sorry for being off-topic - will abide. It appears that I was typing my previous post at the same time you were typing your post.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
I hope the following is more in keeping with the thread.

Pvt. William Guehrs, Creuzbaur's Battery, 5th Texas Artillery.

“Battle of Calcasieu Pass, Louisiana, May 6, 1864. During the first exchange of fire with the enemy gunboat Granite City,
Pvt. Guehrs sustained a serious wound to his leg while serving as gunner to the Number One gun in his battery. With one comrade dead and seeing that two guns of his battery were already out of action, Pvt. Guehrs steadfastly refused ...available medical aid and remained with his gun, although compelled by his crippling wound to swab and load the cannon from his knees. Despite a deadly crossfire from the gunboat Wave, Pvt. Guehrs continued to load the Number One gun until help arrived and both enemy gunboats were surrendered. On September 3rd, 1864, Pvt. Guehrs died from his wounds. He is buried in Waldeck Cemetery in Waldeck, Tx.”

1567184467262.png

TnFed

First Sergeant
If the Yankee States are so Great, why don’t you Stay Home? Eat your Catfish and go back Home. Florida has become a region of Old Yankees and Canadians eating Catfish at the Early Bird Specials.

North has used the South, as an escape from their Miserable Existence since the Civil War.
Lol, while I live in Ohio and kinda like it, I can relate to your post. My folks as you know are from West NC. So I do have a slight southern accent. As do a lot of people in South Ohio...a lot of second generation Appalachians here. Anyway, I went to Florida on my honeymoon and I remember saying to my wife..." I'm way down here in Florida and I sound more southerner than any of these people around here " :smile:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Again, let us go to the article and what it said in the OP.

"The soldiers of the Southern Confederacy were as brave as could be, but they were engaged in a bad cause."

Then at the end, the article states:

"If Mr. Chase or General Blair have come to the conclusion that the dead heroes of the Southern Confederacy and the survivors of the rebel army were engaged in a high and noble cause and are sorry for the part they took in defeating them, we have no objection to their calling together and offering their full apologies. If they please they may go and decorate the graves of their fellow countrymen on the other side, but...

let them not call upon those who still believe that the rebellion was a wicked and unholy cause, to join with them."

Even in 1869, people, in general, could agree with the idea that Confederate soldiers were brave, but engaged in a bad cause.

And they had not forgotten their brave soldiers who saved the Union were just as brave.

Last edited:

CivilWarTalk Moderation

Cadet
Why was this not censored on CWT? This is modern politics. I was talking Civil War politics.
It's a gray area, he didn't actually discuss any modern politics, I would interpret it that he thinks the other comments were "modern political agenda" being used to "justify the point of view" for the comments the other user made.

Technically, members may have all kinds of reasons for discussing topics, and sure, politics might be one of the reasons they argue a point a specific way. Right or wrong, it is what it is.

People use "politically correct" as an excuse for arguing topics all the time, even if they are factually wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.