Restricted The soldiers of the Southern Confederacy were as brave as could be, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurid

First Sergeant
For the OP, if bravery constitutes using a fortified perimeter as cover and hiding and using the element surprise the Confederates have to be the most brave soldiers in history

Ethan S.

First Sergeant
We are a band of brothers
And native to the soil,
Fighting for the property
We gained by honest toil;
And when our rights were threatened,
The cry rose near and far--
"Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag
That bears a single star!"
CHORUS:
Hurrah! Hurrah!
For Southern rights hurrah!
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag
That bears a single star.
As long as the Union
Was faithful to her trust,
Like friends and like brothers
Both kind were we and just;
But now, when Northern treachery
Attempts our rights to mar,
We hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag
CHORUS
First gallant South Carolina
Nobly made the stand,
Then came Alabama,
Who took her by the hand.
Next quickly Mississippi,
Georgia and Florida
All raised on high the Bonnie Blue Flag
CHORUS
Ye men of valor, gather round
The banner of the right;
Texas and fair Louisiana
Join us in the fight.
Davis, our loved president,
And Stephens statesmen are;
Now rally round the Bonnie Blue Flag
CHORUS
And here's to old Virginia--
The Old Dominion State--
Who with the young Confederacy
At length has linked her fate;
Impelled by her example,
Now other states prepare
To hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag
CHORUS
Then cheer, boys, cheer;
Raise the joyous shout,
For Arkansas and North Carolina
Now have both gone out;
And let another rousing cheer
For Tennessee be given,
The single star of the Bonnie Blue Flag
Has grown to be eleven.
CHORUS
Then here's to our Confederacy,
Strong are we and brave;
Like patriots of old we'll fight
Our heritage to save.
And rather than submit to shame,
To die we would prefer;
So cheer for the Bonnie Blue Flag
CHORUS

Chivalry plain and simple. Maybe it died in the war, maybe it never existed, or maybe it did for as long as some men held it in their hearts. I can't objectively prove to anyone any of those premises. But there's something beautiful about it, real or constructed.

Irishtom29

2nd Lieutenant
My family settled Northern Florida and Southern Georgia and we didn’t have slaves so your hypothesis is faulty!
Go home Yankee!

Lots of people who didn't own slaves fought to preserve slavery which was...odd.

I'm home wherever I go--St. Augustine, Chicago, Lexington Ky., San Antonio, Duluth or whatever. It's an American thing.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
If the Yankee States are so Great, why don’t you Stay Home? Eat your Catfish and go back Home. Florida has become a region of Old Yankees and Canadians eating Catfish at the Early Bird Specials.

North has used the South, as an escape from their Miserable Existence since the Civil War.

Americans, being the free and spirited types that we are, tend to use our freedoms, like travel and adventure, to wherever our dreams take us, even into catfish country.

As a fellow American, you're stuck with us. :smile:

My family settled Northern Florida and Southern Georgia and we didn’t have slaves so your hypothesis is faulty!
Go home Yankee!

Already home, in that great and free country called the United States of America and I've bought my little piece of it, right here in Central Florida.

Like I said, you're stuck with us, my fellow Americans. :wink:

Unionblue
Resident of the Great State of Florida since December, 2015.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Well said and so true.

Badly said and untrue.

Every resident of the South I have encountered in my travels while in the service and retired life, truly lived up to that wonderful catch phrase, "Southern Hospitality." I've met people who would stop and offer to help with a flat tire, give helpful instructions, and ask if there was anything they could do for us. If injured, those folks would offer their home, their car, their phones, etc., to get help.

The attitude displayed by some reflect nothing of the South I have come to know and love.

There is much to be admired in the South, in spite of a few who would still like to be a seperate entity.

Unionblue

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
It is a rich man/poor man society. Even at 2 cents per thought, many could save a bundle and move up a class! But we are also a wasteful society and throw our money left and right, many times. Does this prove Capitalism? Anyway, we are what we are; endearing, lovable, and willing to go the extra mile. If we could just change direction....
Lubliner.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
Badly said and untrue.

Every resident of the South I have encountered in my travels while in the service and retired life, truly lived up to that wonderful catch phrase, "Southern Hospitality." I've met people who would stop and offer to help with a flat tire, give helpful instructions, and ask if there was anything they could do for us. If injured, those folks would offer their home, their car, their phones, etc., to get help.

The attitude displayed by some reflect nothing of the South I have come to know and love.

There is much to be admired in the South, in spite of a few who would still like to be a seperate entity.

Unionblue

I'm glad they are good to you.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
And you should be glad they are the rule, not the exception.

I don't know of anybody purposely rude to Yankees as long as they don't start preaching how everything was so much better up North and they have come down South to bring enlightenment to we poor benighted Southerners

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
I guess things still haven't changed much since 1869 when this article was written. We still have differences of opinion of the virtues of each side in this conflict but the fact remains that we are Americans and we all have the freedom to express and hold such thoughts even in today's political climate.

I see the rest of the thread proves your statement. You are right, we still aren't fully healed.

Status
Not open for further replies.