The soldier who invented the monkey wrench

I'm dated too then. Here's something: who remembers how to start the pump if it hadn't been pumped in a while? That will date you!

Hardware historians (apparently there is such a thing) agree about as often as Civil War historian's, and the question of who invented the monkey wrench, and in some cases, what exactly defines a monkey wrench, is one of those questions with no real hard answer. Waterloo50 is being diplomatic on the thread, because there are those in England who refuse to surrender the invention to America. Coes spends a lot of effort trying to convince the world they invented it, and for a time, the were the big dog's in manufacturing, but they were not the first either. Here is a list of patents on quick adjust wrenches and screw adjust wrenches an every patent by Loring.

Screw adjust wrenches - first in 1840 (this wrench was manufactured by A.B. Taylor until a deadly explosion in 1850 - not sure if the company survived)
Quick Adjust Wrench - first in 1832
Loring Coes - first patent in 1841

I originally got interested in this particular piece of history when I learned of AY's relationship to my local battle of interest, and the family's claim to his invention. Of all the improvements to the adjustable wrench, in my opinion, it is the first patent that resembles the wrench most call the monkey wrench today. Others disagree and they can back that statement with evidence.

That is my story and I am sticking to it. Thanks to all who replied.

The piece of hardware history that I really enjoyed researching was why the US adopted the phillips drive, which nearly everyone despises as a cam out (strip) nightmare, and not the Robertson (square drive) that Canada loves.. But it's not Civil War based, so ..... blame Henry Ford.

Last edited:
Back