The Slave States Seceded to Protect Slavery--The Rest is Baloney

Thank you for checking it out. Unfortunately it's not long enough for Amazon to make it available in print. I may do a second edition at some point that will flesh it out a bit more. In the meantime, you can download a free Kindle reader for your computer, tablet, or phone here: https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16571048011
Ah, no, need it in paper. Am writing a book & gets too confusing for files to have things on a screen. But thanks; glad someone wrote something like this! Much needed.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

jgoodguy

-*- Mime -*-
Did they not still control the COURT? The authority of the Court was has it is today.Laws are established by the Legislative branch but are interpreted by the Federal Court system.Is there a book that concerns the Court and Lincoln ?
There are several books on that. At Lincolns election there was one vacancy on SCOTUS and Lincoln would get to appoint more justices. What was feared by the secessionists came to pass.

List of federal judges appointed by Abraham Lincoln
In total Lincoln appointed 32 Article III federal judges, including 4 Associate Justices and 1 Chief Justice to the Supreme Court of the United States, and 27 judges to the United States districtcourts. ... In 1863, the United States Circuit Court for the District of Columbia, which had existed since 1801, was abolished.​

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
-*- Mime -*-
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
This thread is about the motivations for secession. Maybe the interesting points brought up some posters on other topics deserve their own threads!
As the honorable host of this forum has mentioned many...many times in the past and I quote, "New threads are Free. :dance:"

I've seen the South referred to as an "economic colony" of the North, and some opinions that it would have happened with or without the war.
I would be interested to view contemporary expressions of such views while also having deep suspicions as to their motives. :wink:

True, to stay would mean political and economic domination by the North.
Not to join this off-topic parade, but that would be just like the previous decades of political and economic domination by the South. You can go on all day sticking southern tongues out at northerners and northern tongues sticking out at southerners. So why not stop the measuring contest and get on with the thread.

Posted as member.

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
As the honorable host of this forum has mentioned many...many times in the past and I quote, "New threads are Free. :dance:"

I would be interested to view contemporary expressions of such views while also having deep suspicions as to their motives. :wink:
From the South Carolina secession documents:
"the cities of the South [are] provincial. Their growth is paralyzed; they are mere suburbs of Northern cities. The agricultural productions of the South are the basis of the foreign commerce of the United States; yet Southern cities do not carry it on. Our foreign trade, is almost annihilated."

Charleston Mercury, August 8, 1861:
"The North is fighting for money. It is fighting for its supremacy to rule and levy tribute upon us. Its all is based upon its connection with us--commerce, manufactures, industry and wealth of all sorts. The people of the North know it. Financial ruin for all times stares them in the face. They are staking all--life, blood, political liberty--all upon the hazard. They must have money."

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
-*- Mime -*-
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
From the South Carolina secession documents:
"the cities of the South [are] provincial. Their growth is paralyzed; they are mere suburbs of Northern cities. The agricultural productions of the South are the basis of the foreign commerce of the United States; yet Southern cities do not carry it on. Our foreign trade, is almost annihilated."

Charleston Mercury, August 8, 1861:
"The North is fighting for money. It is fighting for its supremacy to rule and levy tribute upon us. Its all is based upon its connection with us--commerce, manufactures, industry and wealth of all sorts. The people of the North know it. Financial ruin for all times stares them in the face. They are staking all--life, blood, political liberty--all upon the hazard. They must have money."
while also having deep suspicions as to their motives. :wink:
:smile:

Edit to add: I am quite familiar w/ secession docs. I was hoping for something a little more factually based such as economic evidence to back it up.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!