The Shirley House

When the Shirley House was officially "presented" after its restoration, the local newspaper ran this story: http://www.vicksburgpost.com/2011/04/28/historic-shirley-house-is-alive-with-restoration-2/

The Park from time to time runs special programs and opens the Shirley House to the public. My favorite was a nighttime event in which one of the actors around a special Park tour was the late Joe Gerache, a Vicksburg pharmacist and self-trained (I think) expert in Civil War medicine. Mr. Gerache acted the part of a period doctor in that front room from which the LA memorial was photographed above. He described in such detail wartime amputations, the piling up of limbs that reached the level of the window, and the re-use of bloody rags and bandages if a soldier expired, that one lady (not me) had to leave the room and go stand on the front porch for some fresh air.

I remember house now from our visit to park. Just didn't go in. We didn't have much time so went thru park both times in a hurry. Hope one day to go back. My husband did take a lot of pictures which I have in an album.

This is another interior looking out themed photo I took...
Capture66.JPG

Back