The Shenandoah Valley ACW Sites

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
I am heading out tomorrow to visit the Shenandoah Valley American Civil War sites.

My itinerary........

Day 1

* Winchester
* Kernstown
* Front Royal

Day 2

* Cedar Creek
* Hupp's Hill
* Fisher's Hill
* Tom's Brook
* New Market

Day 3

* Cross Keys
* Port Republic
* Piedmont
* Fort Edward Johnson
* McDowell

Plenty of photos to follow.....

Bill

shenandoah-valley-battlefields.jpg

I am jealous, this is where I was hoping to go this year, but didn't quite make it.:D( green with envy, LOL) Have a great time! I will look forward to your pictures.

Enjoy the trip, I'm looking forward to the photos. Give yourself time to get from Port Republis / Piedmont area to McDowell. Traveling US 250 will be slow going at times.

We are leaving our hotel in Harrisonburg early and traveling towards Cross Keys.

After our 6 stops around Cross Keys, we will head towards Port Republic.

Then travel to a couple of spots near the Piedmont Battlefield and head west to McDowell.

I will try to get to Fort Edward Johnson after lunch and then take the big hike up Sitlington's Hill (McDowell Battlefield).

Then home to Cincinnati.......

Question.....

Does anyone know how to locate the 8th Vermont Monument off US 11 near the Cedar Creek Battlefield?

Judging by Google Earth, this monument is located on private property.

Bill

Thank you....

But I still have not found a path from US 11 to this monument.

I shall ask a NPS Ranger at their station.

Bill,
I'll be watching, too. I always enjoy your photo essays. You will be passing within a few miles of the grave of my Revolutionary War ancestor. If I ever get out to Virginia again, I'll probably focus on my ancestor more than the Civil War sites. However, the history is so deeply layered in Virginia that I'd probably encounter much more than I planned.
Have fun and I know you'll report back to us soon.
Patrick

Found this thread after searching on "Shenandoah Valley"

I have fortunate enough to have some extra vacation time from work and have to "use it or lose it"

I have not been through the Valley and really want to go. However I am not sure I will be able to make it this month, so my question is how will the weather be in November? I assume the leaves will have all fallen, which is a bit of a bummer, but it is what it is. I am not averse to cold by any means, but my question more comes from a photography perspective to pick up the beautiful scenery of the area.

Thanks for sharing your travels through the Valley! My father's side of the family is originally from down around the Harrisonburg and Elkton area. I'm envious that you're getting to see it in the fall. I've mostly only been in the summer or late spring. One of my favorite stops is Belle Grove Plantation. If you haven't been and are still nearby, which I think you might since you were at Cedar Creek and New Market it's worth a visit.

Back