The Shelton Laurel Massacre

One of the newspapers you posted mentioned that 2 "regiments" of militia and a company of Woodfins cavalry were sent into the area during the Jan/Feb. time frame.

Speaking of "Keith's Detail"...

Hardy discusses David Fry and the raids the unionists made for several months in 61 and 62 escalating to the point that several independent "Ranger Companies" were formed in the mtn counties for protection of the local citizens. One of those formed in March 62 and Keith was elected Captain. It would become Co. A of the 64th in July. Some claim that Keith felt slighted and was 'upset' when Allen took command of the new regiment. Thus there was always some friction between the two.

I've always had the sense that Allen was an opportunistic glory hound who wanted to reap the reward without bearing the responsibility. The more I study, the more I believe he was directly involved in the killing of the prisoners. There's no doubt in my mind that he was more than happy to let Keith hold the bag for what happened.
"One of those formed in March 62 and Keith was elected Captain. It would become Co. A of the 64th in July."
I believe this statement is incorrect. The earliest record I've found for James Keith in any unit was May 10, 1862, when he enlisted in the 64th NC. "Keith's Detail" did not exist until sometime after January 1863.

Col. Allen is a complicated subject. There was a 28 page booklet titled Partisan Campaigns of Col. Lawrence M. Allen, published in 1894 and again in 1901. It was supposedly written by one A. P. Gaston, who claimed to have been Allen's Adjutant during the massacre time period. Allen's Adjutant at that time was actually Lucius Smith, a relative of Governor Vance. There was no A. P. Gaston in the 64th, according to records, but there was a Josiah P. Gaston, and he was Adjutant, but later. My theory is that Lawrence Allen was actually the author of the booklet.

Probably to get away from neighbors and family on the other side. Get away, keep quiet, and make a new start. One of my east Tennessee Confederate families resettled in Iowa of all places. A veteran of the Union 1st Tn Cavalry in my family tree, married right after the war and relocated in Alabama. Probably not a lot of war reminiscing going on in those two instances.

We have found several in Texas...always wonder if maybe they were getting the heck out of Dodge for the same reason. Texas was pretty accepting if you kept your head down and (like my Unionist GGGrandpa and my Great Granddad) kept your mouth shut. Texas was also attractive because it hadn't been devastated by the war. Cities weren't burned, farms weren't destroyed...and there was plenty of cheap land waiting to be had.

We have found several in Texas...always wonder if maybe they were getting the heck out of Dodge for the same reason. Texas was pretty accepting if you kept your head down and (like my Unionist GGGrandpa and my Great Granddad) kept your mouth shut. Texas was also attractive because it hadn't been devastated by the war. Cities weren't burned, farms weren't destroyed...and there was plenty of cheap land waiting to be had.

Several of my East Tennessee Confederate kinfolk resettled in Texas following the war. Two sons of one of them became Texas Rangers.

Texas was supposedly where Lt. Col. Keith of massacre fame was headed in 1869, but ended up settling in Arkansas (as did many other former confederates from Madison County). Yep, getting out of dodge, as they were ill treated back home after the war. Law suit after law suit, and a few killings. James Keith and his brother Riley, as Mexican War vets, had obtained land in Arkansas in the 1850's.

"One of those formed in March 62 and Keith was elected Captain. It would become Co. A of the 64th in July."
I believe this statement is incorrect. The earliest record I've found for James Keith in any unit was May 10, 1862, when he enlisted in the 64th NC. "Keith's Detail" did not exist until sometime after January 1863.

madisonman,
I agree that the "official" records show Co A and Keith mustering in on May 10th 62. What would later become Co. A supposedly began to organize in March. At that time there was no 64th yet.

During the winter of 61/62 Gov. Clark authorized the formation of "ranger" companies along the TN border to protect the citizens from incursions of ET unionists who were flooding into the mtns. Col. McElroy was to raise a company in Yancy. Dr. Joseph A. McDowell, Madison county. Robert H. Penland, Haywood. William H. Thomas, Jackson and John B. Palmer, Mitchell county. Mitchell county was the first to organize on Dec. 31, 61.

IMO, McDowell's company was the nucleus of Co. A ...probably not fully formed until May 10 when Keith was elected Capt.

Ellis, who I usually take with a large grain of salt, claims Keith, with a small detail of rebels, was in the Laurel during the militia operation of April 62. Naturally, he accuses Keith of everything from bad weather to poor gas mileage; but many of the details are confirmed by other sources who wrote about it earlier than him.

What transpired in April 62 would have a direct bearing on the events of Jan. 63 Many of those captured in April, 'volunteered' in Co A and all would desert by Nov. Some of those would be shot the following Jan.

Col. Allen is a complicated subject. There was a 28 page booklet titled Partisan Campaigns of Col. Lawrence M. Allen, published in 1894 and again in 1901. It was supposedly written by one A. P. Gaston, who claimed to have been Allen's Adjutant during the massacre time period. Allen's Adjutant at that time was actually Lucius Smith, a relative of Governor Vance. There was no A. P. Gaston in the 64th, according to records, but there was a Josiah P. Gaston, and he was Adjutant, but later. My theory is that Lawrence Allen was actually the author of the booklet.

"Colonel Allen, of this regiment, was not an attractive man -- rather otherwise --"

A lot can be read into that statement. I don't think Morris was talking about his looks, rather his self promoting, abrassive personality. Somewhere, I read that there was friction between Keith and Allen. According to the story, Keith felt slighted when Allen became Col. of the legion. He supposedly believed that the command should go to him since his company was the first organized. We do know there was some dispute over who would command the mission in Jan. 63. Allen asserted control until their was backlash from higher authority; then he was more than happy to fade into the background and leave Keith holding the bag of responsibility.

madisonman,
I agree that the "official" records show Co A and Keith mustering in on May 10th 62. What would later become Co. A supposedly began to organize in March. At that time there was no 64th yet.

During the winter of 61/62 Gov. Clark authorized the formation of "ranger" companies along the TN border to protect the citizens from incursions of ET unionists who were flooding into the mtns. Col. McElroy was to raise a company in Yancy. Dr. Joseph A. McDowell, Madison county. Robert H. Penland, Haywood. William H. Thomas, Jackson and John B. Palmer, Mitchell county. Mitchell county was the first to organize on Dec. 31, 61.

IMO, McDowell's company was the nucleus of Co. A ...probably not fully formed until May 10 when Keith was elected Capt.

Ellis, who I usually take with a large grain of salt, claims Keith, with a small detail of rebels, was in the Laurel during the militia operation of April 62. Naturally, he accuses Keith of everything from bad weather to poor gas mileage; but many of the details are confirmed by other sources who wrote about it earlier than him.

What transpired in April 62 would have a direct bearing on the events of Jan. 63 Many of those captured in April, 'volunteered' in Co A and all would desert by Nov. Some of those would be shot the following Jan.

"Colonel Allen, of this regiment, was not an attractive man -- rather otherwise --"

A lot can be read into that statement. I don't think Morris was talking about his looks, rather his self promoting, abrassive personality. Somewhere, I read that there was friction between Keith and Allen. According to the story, Keith felt slighted when Allen became Col. of the legion. He supposedly believed that the command should go to him since his company was the first organized. We do know there was some dispute over who would command the mission in Jan. 63. Allen asserted control until their was backlash from higher authority; then he was more than happy to fade into the background and leave Keith holding the bag of responsibility.
Mountain Rebel, I agree with your assessment of Allen's character. Though I did not know about friction between him and Keith, I had thought they were pretty tight. Any way..is there any validity to the story that Allen killed a man from New York...or somewhere..in a duel out west. He claimed over "the honor of Southern womanhood".

madisonman,
I always assumed they were pretty tight too. But, the more I look at it, I'm beginning to wonder if that's true. I wonder if Allen wasn't using Keith for his own advantage.

In Allen's account he speaks highly of Capt. Owens and his cavalry. We know Owens drew supplies the same time that Keith and Allen did just prior to the move on Laurel. When Keith arrived in Greeneville he thought he would be met by 2 groups of cavalry. Instead there was only one, Nelson's. Allen never mentions Nelson...leading one to think it was Owens who went with the troops to Laurel. We know better due to Keith and Nelsons own report. What happened to Owens?

Keith also assumed he would command the expedition until he arrived in Greeneville and Allen assumed overall command. We know there was a disagreement over this. So, Allen was in command when they went into the Laurel but once the shooting took place...it became "all Keith's fault". I tend to think Allen was still calling the shots until he went back to Knoxville. At least one newspaper article from the time claims that everyone in western NC knew who was in charge - Allen.

As for the duel...the only account I've seen is Allen's, so I don't know if it happened or if he made it up to make himself look like a hero.

madisonman,

Mountain Rebel, you may be right about Keith being unofficially active in spring of 62. Keith does mention Militia being sent in, and states, "the tories agreeing to surrender certain brutill criminals to the civil authorities – to give up their arms and to volunteer in the Confederate Army, which forty four of their number did, but before they had reached the foot of the Blue Ridge on their way to the seat of war all but a very small number had deserted and returned to their mountain retreat."

[Capt.] Allen, as early as August 1861, had at least started a unit, the Madison Mounted Guards. I'll post a document on that. I agree with Morris that Allen "was not an attractive man" in the literal sense. Will find a photo.

Keith and Allen relationship - how does anyone know how these two 'felt' about each other, unless they tell us? I do know this - in 1865 or 66, Allen and William Keith (James' nephew) and others from Madison County moved to Benton County, AR. That is the very place Keith had property from 1850's. When Keith went out there in 1869, for some reason he settled in Logan County!

Who was in command of the mission in Jan 63? Maybe Keith can tell us: "... more of the 64th​ joined me making the infantry force about 225 strong, but the two companies of cavalry never did, though one of them Captn Nelson's came to Greeneville before I left, but reported to Col L. M. Allen, who had been under arrest, but who stated that he had been released and had been permitted to return to his command. When I told him I had been ordered to take command of the expedition, he replied 'we can settle the matter.' After this he in every way acted as commander of the forces – signing requisitions for rations – issuing written and verbal orders to the troops..."

Madison Mounted Guards and Allen 1861. family search.org madison co. civil action papers 1868-...jpg

Mountain Rebel, I agree with your assessment of Allen's character. Though I did not know about friction between him and Keith, I had thought they were pretty tight. Any way..is there any validity to the story that Allen killed a man from New York...or somewhere..in a duel out west. He claimed over "the honor of Southern womanhood".
TnFed, Why on earth would you question that duel story? I can't believe it - - - - either! In my mind, Allen's little booklet falls into the same category as Ellis' chapter on the massacre. Will dig out a detail or two on the duel story.

madisonman,
I always assumed they were pretty tight too. But, the more I look at it, I'm beginning to wonder if that's true. I wonder if Allen wasn't using Keith for his own advantage.

In Allen's account he speaks highly of Capt. Owens and his cavalry. We know Owens drew supplies the same time that Keith and Allen did just prior to the move on Laurel. When Keith arrived in Greeneville he thought he would be met by 2 groups of cavalry. Instead there was only one, Nelson's. Allen never mentions Nelson...leading one to think it was Owens who went with the troops to Laurel. We know better due to Keith and Nelsons own report. What happened to Owens?

Keith also assumed he would command the expedition until he arrived in Greeneville and Allen assumed overall command. We know there was a disagreement over this. So, Allen was in command when they went into the Laurel but once the shooting took place...it became "all Keith's fault". I tend to think Allen was still calling the shots until he went back to Knoxville. At least one newspaper article from the time claims that everyone in western NC knew who was in charge - Allen.

As for the duel...the only account I've seen is Allen's, so I don't know if it happened or if he made it up to make himself look like a hero.
Yep, Capt. Owen is the mystery man. Allen mentions him and not Nelson, where Keith mentions Nelson and not Owen. Of course Keith is writing 2 months after the event, and Allen's writing is 30 years afterwards.

Governor Vance plays a part in all this too. Before the war, Vance (and Merrimon) were attorneys that practiced in Madison County Court. The Clerk of Court at the time was none other than Lawrence Allen. In Vance correspondence with military officials about the killing, Allen's name seems to be omitted! It gets complicated.

TnFed, Why on earth would you question that duel story? I can't believe it - - - - either! In my mind, Allen's little booklet falls into the same category as Ellis' chapter on the massacre. Will dig out a detail or two on the duel story.
Thanks,

If anyone runs across this Lt. Col. Oscar H. Bell, please let me know - I searched for him long and hard, and the closest I came was the name L. M. Allen.

The_San_Antonio_Light_Thu__Dec_24__1885_.jpg

Mountain Rebel, you may be right about Keith being unofficially active in spring of 62. Keith does mention Militia being sent in, and states, "the tories agreeing to surrender certain brutill criminals to the civil authorities – to give up their arms and to volunteer in the Confederate Army, which forty four of their number did, but before they had reached the foot of the Blue Ridge on their way to the seat of war all but a very small number had deserted and returned to their mountain retreat."

[Capt.] Allen, as early as August 1861, had at least started a unit, the Madison Mounted Guards. I'll post a document on that. I agree with Morris that Allen "was not an attractive man" in the literal sense. Will find a photo.

Keith and Allen relationship - how does anyone know how these two 'felt' about each other, unless they tell us? I do know this - in 1865 or 66, Allen and William Keith (James' nephew) and others from Madison County moved to Benton County, AR. That is the very place Keith had property from 1850's. When Keith went out there in 1869, for some reason he settled in Logan County!

Who was in command of the mission in Jan 63? Maybe Keith can tell us: "... more of the 64th​ joined me making the infantry force about 225 strong, but the two companies of cavalry never did, though one of them Captn Nelson's came to Greeneville before I left, but reported to Col L. M. Allen, who had been under arrest, but who stated that he had been released and had been permitted to return to his command. When I told him I had been ordered to take command of the expedition, he replied 'we can settle the matter.' After this he in every way acted as commander of the forces – signing requisitions for rations – issuing written and verbal orders to the troops..."

View attachment 338481
Keith's account of the militia operation in Laurel is corroborated by both Ellis and the newspaper, which say essentially the same thing with perhaps a little more detail.

Per Ellis: Keith advised the Laurelites “if they would submit to the authority of the Southern Confederacy and give up their arms they should never be troubled anymore, and that they might go forward in the pursuit of their usual avocations without any further molestation during the continuance of the war. “...Keith succeeded by his persuasiveness - to induce forty of these hard mountaineers to come his encampment and deliver up their old rifles.” They were immediately placed under arrest and kept in “an old house, and a strong guard placed around them".

The Semi-Weekly Standard of April 17th 1863 gives much more detail.

Allens account of his early service:
"While Clerk of the Court, President Lincoln issued his proclamation calling for troops to coerce South Carolina, as she had fired upon and captured Fort Sumter. This proclamation created such a profound sensation that the militia were called out. On the Saturday following, a company of volunteers, one hundred strong, were organized, and John Peek, a Mexican veteran, was made captain of the first company from Madison County.

At the first call Lawrence Allen volunteered, and installing a deputy clerk in his office, he moved out with the company to Raleigh on the first day of May, 1861. The company went into camp of instruction, and shortly afterward, the 16th regiment, then called the 6th, was organized, and Captain Peek's Company was lettered Company B in the regiment. Stephen D. Lee, of Asheville, was elected Colonel.

About the time of the battle of Big Bethel, the Regiment received marching orders to go to West Virginia, at Valley Mountain, and was placed in Loring's Brigade, Gen. R. E. Lee Commanding the Department. About the first of July, 1861, another company of one hundred and twenty-five men was organized in Madison County, and by a unanimous vote, elected L. M. Allen their Captain, who received orders from the War Department to take charge of his company and move without delay to Richmond, Va., which order was promptly obeyed. The company was placed with the 2d N. C. Battalion, Col. Wharton J. Green commanding,

Some of the names in that letter you posted look familiar. Notice all the Brown's.

Per Green: Second N. C. Battalion.
(Owing to the loss of my papers when captured, necessity frequently compels the use of proximates.)

FIELD. AND STAFF.
Wharton J. Green, Lieutenant-Colonel, commanding.
Marcus Erwin, Major.
Dr. Frank Patterson Surgeon.
Dr. Samuel Young Assistant Surgeon. —. —. McNutt Adjutant.
Captain A. H. Shuford, Quartermaster and Commissary.
Rev. H. E. Brooks Chaplain.
Company A — Madison County, N. C.—Captain, S. F. Allen; Lieutenants, Van Brown, _ _ Condell.

Yep, Capt. Owen is the mystery man. Allen mentions him and not Nelson, where Keith mentions Nelson and not Owen. Of course Keith is writing 2 months after the event, and Allen's writing is 30 years afterwards.

Governor Vance plays a part in all this too. Before the war, Vance (and Merrimon) were attorneys that practiced in Madison County Court. The Clerk of Court at the time was none other than Lawrence Allen. In Vance correspondence with military officials about the killing, Allen's name seems to be omitted! It gets complicated.

A Madison county web page describes Allen's house and says it was built on land formally owned by Vance...that it was the site of Vance's earlier log house. If true, they must have been well acquainted.

I wonder what relation, if any, these men were to Merrimon and if they were in the Laurel during Jan.

E. H. Merriman F&S Quartermaster Sergeant
Lewis W. Meriman Co. I Private

A Madison county web page describes Allen's house and says it was built on land formally owned by Vance...that it was the site of Vance's earlier log house. If true, they must have been well acquainted.

I wonder what relation, if any, these men were to Merrimon and if they were in the Laurel during Jan.

E. H. Merriman F&S Quartermaster Sergeant
Lewis W. Meriman Co. I Private
Records do show that Zeb Vance deeded 50 acres for the future county seat of Marshall. Where a Vance log house stood - I'd like to see some documentation. Regardless, you are right - Vance and Allen had to have known each other. They were both political figures, and Marshall was not that huge a place.

Interesting question on the Merrimans relationship. I don't know the answer (yet). Can't say if they were at Laurel or not.

Would it not be logical that Vance, Allen, Merriman and Keith would all know each other.They were leaders in a mostly rural community. Educated and the upper class?

I'm sure they did.

Madisonman has mentioned that there was a falling out between Neely Tweed and Sheriff Merrill which may have led up to his murder in 61. Keith, Allen and Merrill were friends and the 'leadership' of Marshall. Allen had political connections in the Democrat party, and would replace Tweed as county clerk. Merrimon was often in court there and had a low opinion of the Laurelites who often appeared before him.

In the beginning of Madison county the seat of government was much closer to the Laurel. Early on there was a controversy between the people who wanted the county seat to remain at Jewel Hill (Walnut) and the people who wanted it moved to Marshall. I believe this was the origin of the animosity between the Laurel and Marshall.

From a history written in 1914:
Madison's first county seat was Jewel Hill. There once was a spirited contest over keeping the seat of government there. There were several "settlements" which desired to become the county seat of Madison county, Lapland, on the French Broad river, being barred by the act of the legislature (1850-1), which provides that the "county seat is to be called 'Marshall which is not to be within two miles of the French Broad river. The principal candidates for this honor were "Bryants," Barnards and Jewel Hill. The last named was selected at first and several terms of court were held there.

The location of the county seat at Jewel Hill soon proved unsatisfactory, and the legislature of 1852-53 appointed a commission to fix the plan for a county government. They decided on what is now Marshall "on lands of T. B. Vance where Adolphus E. Baird now lives. " But a doubt as to the legality of this selection was immediately raised, though the county offices remained at Jewel Hill. David Vance, in order to comply with the terms of the act, deeded to Madison county fifty acres of land for a town site, by deed dated April 20, 1853.[33]

The location of the county site entered into the politics of that year, and the legislature of 1854-55 (ch. 97, Pr. Laws) passed an act which provided for an election to be held the first Thursday in June, 1855, to determine whether the new location should stand or another location be chosen. In case a new location should be decided on, a commission of nine citizens was named, any five of whom might determine the new location; or if five did not agree, then they were to name two places, one of which should be on the French Broad river, one of which was to be chosen by a majority of the voters at an election to be held at a time to be fixed by the county court.

The act further provided that "if the Supreme court now sitting [February, 1855] should decide that the location of the county seat at Adolphus Baird's" was lawful, then this act should be null and inoperative. Pursuant to this act the question as to whether the location of the county site at Adolphus E. Baird's should stand or a new location be chosen was decided at a popular election held on the first Thursday in June, 1855, pursuant to the act of 1852-53, and an order of the county court made at its April term, 1855.[34] The votes for and against the present location, however, is not stated in the minutes; but there is a tradition that Marshall won by only one vote. At the fall term, 1855, of this court, a building committee was appointed and the building of a brick court house decided upon, which was ordered to be built in 1856. The records show, however, that the county court was still held at Jewel Hill up to the fall of 1859. There appears to be no record of any litigation to test the legality of the selection of the commissioners under the Act of 1852-53, notwithstanding the allusion to such a suit in the act itself.

Back