The Search for Black Confederate Soldiers: Troops raised March & April 1865

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
This is a research thread and not open for discussion or debate.
Another thread will be created for that purpose.

Rules:
Head each post with the officer and/or place of recruitment (in bold).
Post articles/records below.

Abbreviations for principal sources:
OR - War of the Rebellion: Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies
CSR - National Archives' Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers

Example:
Capt. George P. Ring
Montgomery, AL

OR, Series 4, Volume 3, p.1193-
RingOR.jpg

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
Greensboro, NC

Richmond Dispatch, November 22, 1902-
RichmondDispatch22nov1902a.jpg

Camp of Instruction ("Camp Stokes"), Greensboro, NC
CampStokes.jpg

This article appeared in several newspapers. It refers to Gen Stoneman's raid in North Carolina.
There are two versions. One includes a source.

The May 2 edition of the Nashville Dispatch is not available online.

"three hundred"
BostonTraveler6may65.jpg

"one hundred"
BostonEveningTranscript10may65.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, you gave me help!
I had done the same research years ago, then erased the file folder by mistake. I have not repeated the research, but I remember that I had found news of many units enrolled and trained throughout the South and many officers assigned to the command.

This is a research thread and not open for discussion or debate.
Another thread will be created for that purpose.

Rules:
Head each post with the officer and/or place of recruitment (in bold).
Post articles/records below.

Abbreviations for principal sources:
OR - War of the Rebellion: Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies
CSR - National Archives' Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers

Example:
Capt. George P. Ring
Montgomery, AL

OR, Series 4, Volume 3, p.1193-
View attachment 292045
amos messer.gif

Amos Messer Jackson

From the OR Series I, Volume XLIX, Part II (April 6, 1865) Major Amos Messer Jackson 10th U. S. Colored Heavy Artillery reports to Lieutenant Colonel Christian Thomasen Christensen: "The rebels are recruiting negro troops at Enterprise, Mississippi, and the negroes are all enrolled in the State".

In a previous report (April 1, 1865), dealing with present Confederate strength, the Major indicates that "Camps of Instruction" for "colored troops" had been established at "Tallahassee and Andersonville", with an estimated strength of "2,500".

Rebel General Gibson drove in our skirmish line the morning of the 27th. General Newton gives the following estimate of the enemy's strength in the place named, under date of March 24, 1865 : 800 cavalry at Fort Clinch, Withlacoochee River, Fla. ; 500 cavalry at Clay Landing, Suwannee Kiver, and vicinity; 1,700 (half cavalry, half infantry) and 6 guns at Lake City, Fla.; 2,000 around Saint Mark's, Fla.; 3,000 at Tallahassee and along the railroad; 8,000 total. Two camps of instruction for colored troops have been established at Tallahassee and Andersonville. In these camps are supposed to be 2,500. The increase over former estimates of forces at these points is attributed to the recent raid to Saint Mark's and the concentration of the small parties dispersed through Southern Georgia. I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant, A. M. JACKSON, Major. Tenth XI. S. Colored Heavy Artillery. (In absence of Capt. S. M. Eaton, chief signal officer, Military Division of West Mississippi.)
P1001.gif

Christian Thomsen Christensen (1832 - 1905)

Last edited:
Greensboro, NC

Richmond Dispatch, November 22, 1902-
View attachment 292050

Camp of Instruction ("Camp Stokes"), Greensboro, NC
View attachment 292051

This article appeared in several newspapers. It refers to Gen Stoneman's raid in North Carolina.
There are two versions. One includes a source.

The May 2 edition of the Nashville Dispatch is not available online.

"three hundred"
View attachment 292052

"one hundred"
View attachment 292054
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/co...-to-recruit-black-troops.121885/#post-1283466

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/co...cruit-black-troops.121885/page-2#post-1327407

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Hang on. Not open for debate? I'm sorry but in order for that to be respected please edit OR. Black Troops were 'raised' at the behest of white men, not volunteer black troops and it's misleading.

CWT is used as a source. This thread could be misconstrued as evidence black troops were actually mustered instead of brought to camps as ' donated ' enslaved. This is Black History Month. We owe it to 12 million African citizens who never saw home again to get it right.

jgoodguy

-*- Mime -*-
Hang on. Not open for debate? I'm sorry but in order for that to be respected please edit OR. Black Troops were 'raised' at the behest of white men, not volunteer black troops and it's misleading.

CWT is used as a source. This thread could be misconstrued as evidence black troops were actually mustered instead of brought to camps as ' donated ' enslaved. This is Black History Month. We owe it to 12 million African citizens who never saw home again to get it right.
Discussion thread for critique, complaints, and commentary.
The Search for Black Confederate Soldiers: Troops raised March & April 1865 Discussion thread.

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
Mobile, AL

"...during the final siege of Mobile, all male Creoles were ordered to report for local defense, along with other free blacks. The Native Guard, comprised of Creoles, actually served in the fortifications before the city, risking their lives in defense of the old order." -Urban Emancipation by Michael W. Fitzgerald, p.14

This report was dated Mobile, Ala., March 29, 1865.
It appeared in the April 11 edition of the Augusta Chronicle-
1550152280565.png

jgoodguy

-*- Mime -*-
1865-01-16, Richmond Whig; important description of the large number of escaping slaves, fearing they are to be put into the Confederate Army

From the Richmond Whig, 1/16/1865, p. 1, c. 6
THE HEGIRA. – As Mahomet and his followers fled from Mecca before the persecutions of the Arab idolaters, the sons of Ham are flying from this city to avoid an imaginary impending conscription. The opinion obtains among them that they are to be put into the Confederate ranks with muskets in their hands, and not liking the prospect they are running off nightly in gangs. The military authorities have shut up the principal highways leading to the Yankee lines, but the negroes escape for the most part through the woods. A few of the most idiotic follow the roads and are captured. Mr. Jos. Mettert, of Geary’s cavalry, on Saturday night, arrested on the Mechanicsville pike, about a mile from the city, James and Charles, slaves of Mrs. Jane Timberlake, of Hanover, who had in their respective market carts two negroes who were evidently prepared for a trip to Yankeeland. These negroes were John Hames, slave of Peter Webster, and John, slave of Dr. Edward Eppes. Mr. Mettert brought the four back to the first station house, when, on search, the two last mentioned were found to have $150 a piece in Confederate notes in their stockings, and each of them was wearing four or five shirts and three or four pairs of pants.​
On the same night detectives Jones and Turner arrested in Screamersville, at the house of a Mrs. Winants, John Munn, on the charge of being about to run a parcel of negroes and white men through the lines. Munn was already under bail to answer before Judge Lyons’ Court for aiding a negro to escape from his master to the enemy.​
John, slave of Ro. Oliver, was arrest on the same night on the suspicion of being about to run off to the Yankees. This makes five negroes captured Saturday night. We have no doubt that fifty got safely through the lines.​

jgoodguy

-*- Mime -*-
Link

O.R.--SERIES IV--VOLUME III [S# 129]

APPENDIX.

<ar129_1193>

HEADQUARTERS JACKSON HOSPITAL,
February 14, 1865.

Lieut. Gen. R. S. EWELL:

DEAR SIR: For my own gratification, as well as those who are taking great interest in the important question, with regard to the using of the slaves of the Confederacy as an assisting element to us in defending our homes, firesides, and country from those who would destroy us, I would respectfully say that this morning I caused the hired male slaves at this hospital to be convened, and after asking them the deliberate question, if they would be willing to take up arms to protect their masters' families, homes, and their own from an attacking foe, sixty out of seventy-two responded they would volunteer to go to the trenches and fight the enemy to the bitter end.

Very respectfully, your most obedient servant,

F. W. HANCOCK,

Surgeon in charge.

Officers: orders given by John W. Reily, recruiting officers J. W. Pegram and Thomas Turner
Place of recruitment: based in Richmond, appealing to the state of Virginia

Published in the newspaper precisely because the two recruiting officers wanted to get the word out and appeal to the largest number of people.

The daily dispatch. (Richmond [Va.]) 1850-1884, March 16, 1865
yG7uGiR.jpg

The daily dispatch. (Richmond [Va.]) 1850-1884, March 16, 1865
LByoJGK.jpg

Did any of the March 1865 black Confederate soldiers see combat? There is a good case to be made that some did. possibly on more than one occasion. According to Major Scott's report, they were taken to the Petersburg trenches before the Confederate Congress passed the recruitment law.

Officers: Colonel Scott Shipp, VMI; Major Henry C. Scott
Place of recruitment: Jackson Hospital, Richmond, recruited by Dr. F. W. Hancock, Dr Chambliss

E29fHPN.jpg

From the National Archives, RG 109 (Administrative Files – Subject Index: Ships – Zouaves, Box # 5 , “Slaves” Folder)​
Hd Qrs Jackson Battalion​
March 16th 1865​
Sir​
I have the honor to report that in obedience to your orders received through Surg Hancock I ordered my Battalion from the 1st 2d 3 & 4 Div of Jackson Hospital to the front on Saturday night at 12 o’clk and reported by order of Maj. Pegram to Col. Ship P.A.C.S. Comdg Cadet Corps.​
I have great pleasure in stating that my men acted with the utmost promptness and good will.​
I had the pleasure of turning over to Major Chambliss a portion of my Negro command to be attached to his Negro command. Allow me to state that they behaved in extraordinary commendable(?) manner. I would respectfully ask that Major Chambliss be particularly noticed for the manner which he handled that very important element to be inaugurated in our service.​
Respy your Obdt Servt​
H. C. Scott​
Surg(?) & Major Comdg​
Jackson Battln​

The newspapers reported that these men had been at the front, and they were seen on the Union side of the lines as well and reported as late as March 29.

The New York herald. (New York [N.Y.]) 1840-1920, March 13, 1865
QDDtPBE.jpg

The Tipton advertiser. (Tipton, Cedar Co., Iowa) 1856-1962, March 16, 1865
0ruVukA.jpg

The daily dispatch. (Richmond [Va.]) 1850-1884, March 22, 1865
xIt0Nj3.jpg

The New York herald. (New York [N.Y.]) 1840-1920, April 03, 1865
ipvxs2K.jpg

FLTMeWk.jpg

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!