The SCV's new museum

Gosh, I hope so too, but I am at a loss to figure out what exactly a proto-Marxist historians' spiel is.

Don't go to the new SCV museum expecting to hear it. Instead, perhaps several of our posters whose definition of “accurate history” is different from mine will provide you with a reading list more to your liking.

Heaven forbid. Well...At least they won't give any marxist style historian any credit for the arguments that are cherry picked from them. Such as, it was about northern capitalistic economic domination.

I doubt it, the SCV's 501(C)(3) tax-exempt status prevents the organization from delving too deeply into what might be construed by adversaries as modern political issues not directly directed at the preservation of Confederate Heritage and the Confederate soldier's good name.

It's a private museum that hasn't opened yet. It's under construction with no public funding. Not a single artifact or exhibit is on display to critique yet. I don't understand why the topic of this thread is so difficult.

Edit to add: Nevermind. Seriously. Some choose to make it difficult.

Last edited:
Don't go to the new SCV museum expecting to hear it. Instead, perhaps several of our posters whose definition of “accurate history” is different from mine will provide you with a reading list more to your liking.
I would not know what to ask them for. Hopefully the museum's worldview will not differ from yours. Looking forward to seeing the exhibits.

I think this is a great project. There is no better place to tell the story of the Confederacy than at the national headquarters.
That's always been one problem about the project for me - WHERE Is Columbia, Tennessee??? (Don't try to explain or give me directions - I think I've actually been through there before, either coming or going to Franklin; my point is that it's an obscure location pretty much on the way to nowhere.) As far as I remember, nothing truly historically significant relating to the war occurred there. I don't know by what maneuvering it came to be the SCV's National Headquarters, but I can't imagine anyone but members ever going there. I believe it should've been placed in a more accessible and relevant location, even to the possibility of confronting "offended" passers-by. Of course, the Unionist Federal Government, largely through the NPS, has the *best* locations at battlefields like Gettysburg, Vicksburg, etc., etc. but there should still be plenty of appropriate places in Tennessee such as Nashville, Chattanooga, or Franklin that at least saw battles. I'm not very happy that the former Museum of the Confederacy is moving out of Richmond but its neighborhood has already been destroyed and as unbelievable as it is, the city is no longer a suitable venue. Their newer Appomattox location has some of the same drawbacks as Columbia but at least is near an appropriate historic site.

I mostly hope that the story of the war is told right, slavery and all. It is worth the telling and might go a long way for them in the end. I would still like to see it. I hate that they are moving the Museum of the Confederacy. I used to love going to Richmond, there were lots of things to see there. Now I am not so sure anymore. Although I am still hopeful for the town, as it is worth the visit just for the architecture.

Lt. Col. Landree discredits his own standing when he addresses his letter to the "Smithsonian Institute." The name is Smithsonian Institution. Sloppy, especially in that it is the official response from the SCV.
They are "sloppy" too. Doesn't the Smithsonian magazine have spellcheck?:rofl:
At the end of the article:
Editor’s note, November 14, 2016: The posted excerpt from Mike Landree originally included a paragraph about historian Kevin Levin. To avoid confusion as to the source of the factual errors, and to prevent any misunderstanding about Levin’s credentials, we have removed the pragraph.

They are "sloppy" too. Doesn't the Smithsonian magazine have spellcheck?:rofl:
At the end of the article:
Editor’s note, November 14, 2016: The posted excerpt from Mike Landree originally included a paragraph about historian Kevin Levin. To avoid confusion as to the source of the factual errors, and to prevent any misunderstanding about Levin’s credentials, we have removed the pragraph.
There was more editing:

Editor’s Note, November 8, 2016: Due to errors in the reporting in the original source, we misstated the official name of the museum, its square footage, and its estimated construction cost. Those inaccuracies have since been corrected. In addition, since publishing the story, Mike Landree, the executive director of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, responded to the story, and we asked him a few questions about the museum. Below is a condensed excerpt from his e-mail:

That's always been one problem about the project for me - WHERE Is Columbia, Tennessee??? (Don't try to explain or give me directions - I think I've actually been through there before, either coming or going to Franklin; my point is that it's an obscure location pretty much on the way to nowhere.) As far as I remember, nothing truly historically significant relating to the war occurred there. I don't know by what maneuvering it came to be the SCV's National Headquarters, but I can't imagine anyone but members ever going there. I believe it should've been placed in a more accessible and relevant location, even to the possibility of confronting "offended" passers-by. Of course, the Unionist Federal Government, largely through the NPS, has the *best* locations at battlefields like Gettysburg, Vicksburg, etc., etc. but there should still be plenty of appropriate places in Tennessee such as Nashville, Chattanooga, or Franklin that at least saw battles. I'm not very happy that the former Museum of the Confederacy is moving out of Richmond but its neighborhood has already been destroyed and as unbelievable as it is, the city is no longer a suitable venue. Their newer Appomattox location has some of the same drawbacks as Columbia but at least is near an appropriate historic site.

Columbia TN is located just south of Nashville.

Somewhere I saw something to the effect that the building would also house headquarters offices. My personal opinion is that Columbia TN had cheap land at the time or it was donated. IMHO it is easily enough accessed from I65. However, it appears to be off a 2 lane road. I'd rate it as obscure and hard to get to as the Confederate Memorial Park and its Confederate Museum in Marbury Alabama which seems to be to be about the same size.

That said, even assuming attended by the SCV faithful, just how many trips does one need to make to a Confederate museum before it becomes boring.

Somewhere I saw something to the effect that the building would also house headquarters offices. My personal opinion is that Columbia TN had cheap land at the time or it was donated. IMHO it is easily enough accessed from I65. However, it appears to be off a 2 lane road. I'd rate it as obscure and hard to get to as the Confederate Memorial Park and its Confederate Museum in Marbury Alabama which seems to be to be about the same size.

That said, even assuming attended by the SCV faithful, just how many trips does one need to make to a Confederate museum before it becomes boring.
If something is dear in your heart, like a loved one's grave, even though they're long gone you'll never get bored. You feel close to them like looking through wavy glass at something. It's distorted but you can still see it how you want to interpret it.

If something is dear in your heart, like a loved one's grave, even though they're long gone you'll never get bored. You feel close to them like looking through wavy glass at something. It's distorted but you can still see it how you want to interpret it.

The problem is not sentiment, but who will pay for it. That's the problem in the Confederate museum world for a generation or more. The cost of maintaining the heritage exceeds the income from folks wanting to view it. Preservation became a real problem. Many old Confederate museums had lots of relics, but those relics were deteriorating fast and preservation is expensive. The SCV museum idea came from changes in the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond that they disagreed with.
Link
By the centennial anniversary of the Civil War, the museum's governing board determined that it wanted to see the museum evolve from a shrine to a more modern museum. In 1963, the CMLS hired its first museum professional as executive director, and in 1970, changed the name of the institution to "The Museum of the Confederacy." Visitors peaked at 91,000 per year in the early 1990s but were down to around 51,000 in the early 2000s.[3]

The SCV is making a large bet that their shrine/museum will attract enough visitors to survive.

The problem is not sentiment, but who will pay for it. That's the problem in the Confederate museum world for a generation or more. The cost of maintaining the heritage exceeds the income from folks wanting to view it. Preservation became a real problem. Many old Confederate museums had lots of relics, but those relics were deteriorating fast and preservation is expensive. The SCV museum idea came from changes in the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond that they disagreed with.
Link
By the centennial anniversary of the Civil War, the museum's governing board determined that it wanted to see the museum evolve from a shrine to a more modern museum. In 1963, the CMLS hired its first museum professional as executive director, and in 1970, changed the name of the institution to "The Museum of the Confederacy." Visitors peaked at 91,000 per year in the early 1990s but were down to around 51,000 in the early 2000s.[3]

The SCV is making a large bet that their shrine/museum will attract enough visitors to survive.
I believe I've said this before: The way it's going out there they will/could have plenty of beautiful monuments to display. With lots of those it could be partly a Confederate "art" museum too! Not too hard to preserve statues...especially when they are purposely being physically destroyed/vandalized. Such a shame to destroy art let alone history.

How come everytime something is posted all you yankees what to do it steer the thread to the slavery issue. Come on give it a rest.

Slavery cannot be separated from the Civil War or the Confederacy, it was a primary component of both. If there's been any steering, it's been the attempt to steer away from that -- it won't pass, and it won't rest.

Last edited:
I believe I've said this before: The way it's going out there they will/could have plenty of beautiful monuments to display. With lots of those it could be partly a Confederate "art" museum too! Not too hard to preserve statues...especially when they are purposely being physically destroyed/vandalized. Such a shame to destroy art let alone history.
Statues need upkeep if outdoors and take up lots of space inside. TINSTAAFL rules.

Back