The Rutledge Artillery

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 7 [S# 7]
JANUARY 19, 1862.--Engagement at Logan's Cross-Roads, on Fishing Creek, near Mill Springs, Ky.
No. 2. -- Reports of Brig. Gen. George H. Thomas, U.S. Army, commanding division, with congratulatory orders.

CIRCULAR.
HEADQUARTERS BEECH GROVE, KY.,
January 18, 1862.
The following will be the order of march:
General Zollicoffer: Fifteenth Mississippi in advance, Lieutenant-Colonel Walthall; battery of four guns, Captain Rutledge; Nineteenth Tennessee, Colonel Cummings; Twentieth Tennessee, Colonel Battle; Twenty-fifth Tennessee, Colonel Stanton.

General Carroll: Seventeenth Tennessee, Colonel Newman; Twenty-eighth Tennessee, Colonel Murray; Twenty-ninth Tennessee, Colonel Powell; two guns in rear of infantry, Captain McClung.
Sixteenth Alabama, Colonel Wood, in reserve cavalry battalions in rear, Colonel Branner on the right, Colonel McClellan on the left; independent companies in front of the advance regiment; ambulances and ammunition wagons in rear of the whole and in the order of their regiments.
By order of General Crittenden:
A. S. CUNNINGHAM,
Assistant Adjutant-General.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 7 [S# 7]
JANUARY 19, 1862.--Engagement at Logan's Cross-Roads, on Fishing Creek, near Mill Springs, Ky.
No. 17. -- Reports of Maj. Gen. George B. Crittenden, C. S. Army, commanding division.

DIVISION HEADQUARTERS,
Camp Fogg, Tenn., February 13, 1862.
SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the engagement of January 19, near Fishing Creek, Pulaski County, Kentucky:

[excerpt]

1st. The brigade of General Zollicoffer, in the following order: In front, the independent cavalry companies of Captains Saunders and Bledsoe; then the Fifteenth Mississippi Regiment, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Walthall; then the Nineteenth Tennessee, commanded by Col. D. H. Cummings; then the Twentieth Tennessee, commanded by Colonel Battle; then the Twenty-fifth Tennessee, commanded by Col. S.S. Stanton; then four guns of Rutledge's battery, commanded by Captain Rutledge.
------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME X/1 [S# 10]
April 6-7, 1862..--Battle of Pittsburg Landing, or Shiloh, Tenn.
No. 167. -- Report of Brig. Gen. Daniel Ruggles, C. S. Army, Commanding First Division.

[Inclosure No. 2.]
JACKSON, MISS., December 16, 1862.
CAPTAIN: In reply to your communication of the 8th instant, making inquiry "as to the part your (my) battery took in the bombardment of Prentiss' division, late Sunday evening, at the battle of Shiloh," and further, "by whose order the batteries were ordered up to their respective positions, and how many there were and by whom commanded," I have the honor to state, for the information of Brigadier-General Ruggles, that at about 2 p.m. of April 6 1 had been compelled to fall back from a position on the extreme left of our lines, opposite a field near where Prentiss' camp was afterward discovered to be, and under orders from Maj. Gen. L. Polk retired my battery about 200 yards through the woods skirting the field.
[excerpt]
At this juncture my battery was ordered by a staff officer to the edge of the field near Prentiss' camp, and to a position sweeping his rear approaches, and from which I had previously retired. As I went into action Captain Stanford formed on my right. I found the Washington Artillery already in position on my left and firing rapidly. Captain Robertson's 12-pounder battery formed on the right of Stanford, with Captain (now Major) Rutledge on his right and some one or two other batteries still farther to the right, but by whom commanded I am unable to state.
[excerpt]
SMITH P. BANKHEAD,
Colonel of Artillery, Provisional Army, Confederate States.

Capt. ROY MASON HOOE,
Assistant Adjutant-General, Jackson, Miss.

No. 215. -- Report of Brig. Gen. S. A. M. Wood, C. S. Army, commanding Third Brigade.
[excerpt]
The enemy gave way and fell back in disorder, but soon rallied on our left so as to pour into us a cross-fire. We retired to the edge of the woods and here maintained for nearly three hours a most unequal contest. The battle was progressing furiously on my left, and when any advantage happened to the enemy it forced my brigade to sustain a galling cross-fire. It now seemed that large masses of the enemy were coming up and pressing my right. A battery, which I afterwards learned was commanded by Captain Rutledge, came up to this point and held them in check for more than half an hour. The regiment next to my brigade on the left broke and fell back two or three times. I went to it for the purpose of trying to steady the men. One of the colonels informed me his men were worn-out and could not be rallied. He was alone. The men were scattered in the bushes, which were quite thick. By the assistance of one or two field and staff officers the men were rallied, formed in line, and led back to the fight. Returning to my command, I found all my field officers wounded but two, and they were on foot, their horses killed. The regiments on our left again gave way and my command was forced to retire. In doing so the remnant of the regiment broke around the pond they had previously passed and came out principally on its right.
[excerpt]
No. 225. -- Report of Brig. Gen. John C. Breckinridge, commanding Raserve Corps.
HDQRS. RESERVE CORPS, ARMY OF THE MISSISSIPPI,
April 17, 1862.
COLONEL: I have the honor to make the following statement of the small-arms, cannon, &c., captured from the enemy in the battles of the 6th and 7th, by the Reserve Corps, exclusive of the cavalry, from whom there is no report:
Small-arms, 1,393; swords, 11; cannon, 4 pieces.
The small-arms are now in the hands of my men, most of them taken from dead and wounded enemies, and substituted for rifles or guns before in our possession.

The four pieces were hauled several miles off the field and within our lines by Captain Rutledge, commanding battery in Statham's brigade, and it is confidently believed form a part of the captured cannon now at Corinth.

My command did not stop in their camps, but moved on under orders, and I think did its full share upon the line of its operations in the work, of which captured cannon, flags, small-arms, and prisoners were the result.
Respectfully,
JOHN C. BRECKINRIDGE,
Brigadier-General, Commanding.
Col. THOMAS JORDAN,
Assistant Adjutant-General.

CAPTAIN ARTHUR M. RUTLEDGE'S TENNESSEE LIGHT ARTILLERY BATTERY

Jul 14, 2004 ... Tennesseans in the Civil War Confederate Artillery Units ... Branner's Cavalry Battalion, and Rutledge's Battery around by Wartburg on the ...
www.tngenweb.org/civilwar/csaart/rutledge.html - Similarto CAPTAIN ARTHUR M. RUTLEDGE'S TENNESSEE LIGHT ARTILLERY BATTERY

http://civilwartalk.com/aol/search?...e.html+Rutledge Battery during the Civil War?

• Weapons, Part 4

Sep 4, 2002 ... The smoothbore guns were of types developed before the War Between the States, .... For further information on Civil War era artillery, ... Arthur M. Rutledge's Tennessee Battery had four M1841 6-pounder guns and two ...
    webspace.webring.com/people/vc/cem/weapons_part_4.htm - Similarto Weapons, Part 4

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

B. H. Rutledge was in charge of the Mounted Rifles as Captain.

This is not the same A. Rutledge, of the Tennessee Battery--so be careful as it seems they have messed up in that regard.

M. E. Wolf

Thanks M E Wolf for the OR. I learned from one link that they were from Nashville, so it puzzles me that there's not more out there on them.

Back