The rock carvings of Gettysburg

Mdiesel

First Sergeant
So my adventure started last year when I found this site: http://gburginfo.brinkster.net/battlefieldcarvings.htm I got pretty excited about this information on carvings at gettysburg. I quickly decided to go on a "scavanger hunt". Armed with this new information, and the directions provided in the link above, I soon on my way! I spent a few interesting hours enjoying the battlefield & looking for engravings left by the veterans. These carvings often predate the monuments... here's just a couple.

Captain Acheson's stone "grave marker "is a warm tribute to a well beloved brother and comrade. Acheson of company C, 140th Pennsylvania Volunteers, was killed July 2nd 1863 on the J. Weikert farm. After the fighting the captain was buried near this rock. Its marked with his initials and regiment. Acheson was later reinterned.

This regiment campaigned with Army Of The Potomac from Chancellorsville to Appomattox. According to Soldiers and Sailors Database, total loses during the Civil War were, "10 Officers and 188 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 127 Enlisted men by disease. Total 326."

Acheson\'s stone.jpg

Acheson\'s stone2.jpg

Pvt. Augustus L. Coble of the 1st NC infantry, Co E. left his mark between the halves of this "split boulder" seen below. The site is at the base of Culp's Hill and proximal to Spangler Spring.
Like many Civil War regiments, the service of the 1st NC was one of extreme sacrifice on many fields of battle. According to "The soldiers and sailors database" the 1st NC was a huge regiment when mustered in to Confederate service in spring of 1861. The regiment could boast a whopping 1500 officers and men. They saw action from Seven Day's to the end of the war. After 4 years bloodshed only 10 officers and 65 men would be present to surrender at Appomattox...
The 1st NC was apart of Gen. George H. "Maryland" Stueart's brigade at Gettysburg and took part in the disastrous attack across "Pardee Field", on July 3rd. But years later the returning veteran remembered this earlier position and carved his name and regiment into the stone. From here Coble would have had a good field of fire to across Spangler Spring. However the position no doubt provided much more... protection and shelter. So many thousands of rounds were fired at Culp's Hill that for years after the battle trees were dieing of lead posioning!

craving of the Stone reads "A L Coble 1st NC reg"

coble_1stNC.jpg

Coble 1stNC2.jpg

40th NY.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice pics, Mdiesel!

Was shown these carvings by Judi and her husband during the trip to G'burg last year.

Putting yourself in the grass behind this rock, imagining the battles raging beyond it, gives a whole new meaning to "graffiti".

--BBF

Thanks Bonnie Blue. Your right about gaining a new understanding of what the individual soldier went through when you can actually stand where they stood. In the case of Pvt A.L. Coble, the ''graffiti'' is unique as he was likely marking his life saver.
He was fortunate to find such an advantageous position that allowed for both cover & a clear field of fire. And I'm sure he wasn't the only soldier to find shelter behind the split rock as his unit changed position several times.

Its sad to think of what's been lost, however. Although enthusiastic, People in the late 1800's & early 1900's apparently weren't as conscious of battlefield preservation as we are today. When I showed these carvings to a friend on another site, he informed me of the following. example...

Pvt. W.C. Ward of the 4th Alabama was wounded during the fighting @ Little Round Top. Ward fell behind a rock which shielded him from further harm & likely saved his life! Pvt. Ward later returned to LRT & carved his name upon his life preserver. Ken Burn's ''Civil War'' quotes Ward on his remembrance of lying there wounded and helpless behind that rock... According to my friend he wrote to the Gettysburg staff a few years ago and inquired about Ward's rock. He was told the Park service was aware of it, however had never been able to located it. Unfortunately it was probably turned over or destroyed in the road building projects of the early 1900's or the trolley that predates it.

I make an effort to find as many as I can when I go to Gettysburg...there's a ton of places that list them...
There's the 40th NY carving by Devil's Den, the Maine carving at the base of Devil's Den, Flag Rock by the Valley of Death, PB carving across from the Irish Brigade Monument, there are a couple on Culp's Hill, there are 2 identified to soldiers from the Bucktails on the McPherson Barn, and at the Daniel Lady Farm there are 2 identified to Confederates who were there at the field hospital (although that's cut into a door jamb not on rock).

I was wondering about other battlefields out there that may have such carving.

PS...if you'd like, I have pix of all those mentioned and would be happy to post them if you want to see them.

I make an effort to find as many as I can when I go to Gettysburg...there's a ton of places that list them...
There's the 40th NY carving by Devil's Den, the Maine carving at the base of Devil's Den, Flag Rock by the Valley of Death, PB carving across from the Irish Brigade Monument, there are a couple on Culp's Hill, there are 2 identified to soldiers from the Bucktails on the McPherson Barn, and at the Daniel Lady Farm there are 2 identified to Confederates who were there at the field hospital (although that's cut into a door jamb not on rock).

I was wondering about other battlefields out there that may have such carving.

PS...if you'd like, I have pix of all those mentioned and would be happy to post them if you want to see them.

I would absolutely LOVE to see your photos! I have found the 4th ME & 40th NY already, but please post your photo of them as well, of love photography, Thanks :smile:

There are also many rock carvings up on Big Round Top. Have to climb around on the rocks to find them but worth the effort.

Big Round Top is one place I have to admit I've not explored much... Thanks for this incentive :smile:

Interesting. I hope to get to Gettysburg one day. I had many family members who fought there with the 26th Alabama Infantry.

Sorry this took so long to get to...these are ones I've found at Gettysburg...
Not all are really graffiti, but all are pretty cool (to me anyhow)...enjoy

DSC06670.jpg

Hazlett / Weed Rock on Little Round Top
100_7225.jpg

Dinosaur footprint (yep one of 3) on Confederate Avenue Bridge
100_7265.jpg

P Socks engraving on Culp's Hill
100_7266.jpg

Lightner engraving on Culp's Hill

100_7297.jpg

Initials on 11th Corps field hospital window sill (Spangler Farm)

100_7403.jpg

Initials on the Spangler Barn

100_7404.jpg

Initials on the Spangler Barn

DSC05330.jpg

Initials of 2 soldiers from the 149th PA on the McPherson Barn

DSC05412.jpg

4th Maine carving by Devil's Den...note 3rd Corps insignia on top

DSC01895.jpg

Coble Rock by Spangler Spring

DSC01863.jpg

Strong Vincent Rock on Little Round Top

DSC01858.jpg

David Acheson Rock by the Wheatfield

DSC01853.jpg

PB engraved on rock (in center of the rock) by 5th Michigan Monument

DSC01843.jpg

Flag Rock in Plum Run Valley

DSC01730.jpg

40th New York rock, Plum Run Valley / Devil's Den area

DSC02184.jpg

Crumlish engraved in rock at peak of Big Round Top

DSC02183.jpg

Letter W and J Hinchcliff engraved on rock at peak of Big Round Top

DSC02940.jpg

Name ? dated ?25, 1917 at Daniel Lady Barn

DSC02937.jpg

Identified Confederate grafitti at Daniel Lady Barn

DSC02932.jpg

Identified Confederate Grafitti at Daniel Lady Barn

I am sure there are a few that I missed, and if you know of any more out there, please let me know so I can track them down!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back