The Reptilian Pin....A Little Creepy For Jewelry

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
A few years back, I was searching for artifacts in Raymond, MS in an area that was next to an old carriage road and a cold running creek. The land owner was selling off his timber and had clear cut a large tract of land. He noted to me that an old homestead had occupied the little hill by the creek. It had been put together with logs and pegs and pre-dated the civil war. By the time the war arrived, soldiers camped around it, taking advantage of a nearby well and probably the chickens and livestock too.
One of the items I found that day was this silver plated brass reptile piece. I had no idea what this item was or what it went to. Was it depicting the image of an alligator? A lizard? A Gecko?
At first I began to research military units whose mascot may have been an alligator. After-all, Louisiana troops were active in the Vicksburg campaign and I had discovered several civil war period artifacts from the soldiers that camped on the site.
I finally gave up and simply labeled the artifact in my collection as "alligator pin of unknown origin".
It remained unknown until fairly recently when I noticed a picture of a civil war era woman who was wearing a similar object. It was known as a Reptilian Pin.
Thanks to the internet and Google Images, I came to discover that these style of pins were actually quite fashionable during the mid-nineteenth century. Many were much fancier than mine, being adorned with various colored glass stones, etc. But I was very pleased that I had recovered the remains of one of these long lost relics that was no doubt worn by a lady during the 19th century, possibly during the war years.
Any additional information on these pins would be appreciated as I am constantly wanting to learn more about the objects that people treasured and lost during the civil war.

Reptilian Pin.JPG

Thanks for sharing this Tom. Look at the detail of the casting! The star shaped texture; the thin line of the reptile's mouth; and the toes on the extended arm. Absolutely fascinating! Is this the underbelly of the reptile and is there a place on the other side where the pin was attached?

That's fascinating. I've never heard of these but that means nothing. Era photos of women depict such a wide variety of jewelry it gets bewildering keeping track.

I realize it would be a time consuming effort but maybe browsing through magazines of the era would be helpful? These sound like they may have been a fad? If so there will be ads selling them. Between Godey's, Harper's Weekly, Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper and a few others, may find something. There are ads for everything from watches to swords and guns to tobacco cases to kid's toys. You never know! Fair warning, you'll get sidetracked in there- some interesting stuff!

Thanks for bringing your find here, appreciate the chance to see it.

Thanks for sharing this Tom. Look at the detail of the casting! The star shaped texture; the thin line of the reptile's mouth; and the toes on the extended arm. Absolutely fascinating! Is this the underbelly of the reptile and is there a place on the other side where the pin was attached?
Thanks! The picture is of the top of the reptile. The pin is like a hollow shell. I’ll take a photo of the underside and post it up.

That's fascinating. I've never heard of these but that means nothing. Era photos of women depict such a wide variety of jewelry it gets bewildering keeping track.

I realize it would be a time consuming effort but maybe browsing through magazines of the era would be helpful? These sound like they may have been a fad? If so there will be ads selling them. Between Godey's, Harper's Weekly, Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper and a few others, may find something. There are ads for everything from watches to swords and guns to tobacco cases to kid's toys. You never know! Fair warning, you'll get sidetracked in there- some interesting stuff!

Thanks for bringing your find here, appreciate the chance to see it.
Great suggestions about the publications. I'll certainly look at them and maybe I'll find more examples. Thanks!

Back