The Rebel Yell

Lubliner

Major
Forum Host
As a child, I saw Jerry Lewis in 'The Man With A Thousand Faces', or 'Dr. Jeckell and Mr. Hyde'; don't remember which; but the scary part was when he drank some potion and started turning into some monster type. I had to avert my eyes due to fear. Now I understand the rebel yell invoked some mania among the receiving troops as 100's of cavalry or infantry would swoop down upon them, with the rebels screaming like maniacs let loose from a cage and creating hysteria. Like an unstoppable force of wind in a storm, it would sweep over the defenders, spreading havoc and dismay, only to turn about on the other side, and regroup for a second charge. It created a vortex of death, destruction and dismay, and men would freeze up or run; unless you like bold stories of men with iron nerves, taut as steel, and taking cool aim, delivering their own volley. Which is it? Truth or wishful thinking after all....
Thanks, Lubliner.

One voice out of context with out the charge can hardly do it justice....but thanks, I will take a look.
I have heard the wind as it funneled through a pass in a terrible storm and sought refuge from a very scary sound, much like a cavalry charge with screaming banshees of utter madness gone bezerk. Enough to imagine...
Lubliner.

One voice out of context with out the charge can hardly do it justice....but thanks, I will take a look.
I have heard the wind as it funneled through a pass in a terrible storm and sought refuge from a very scary sound, much like a cavalry charge with screaming banshees of utter madness gone bezerk. Enough to imagine...
Lubliner.
The one I saw/heard was done by 3 old recordings of confederate vets, then multiplied many times to be like a regiment

If you go to YouTube, you'll find old Confederate giving the Rebel Yell.
As much as I'm sure those old veterans hearts were in it, I sincerely doubt they could have produced anything remotely close to the sound of thousands of adrenaline-pumped young Rebels at full charge as would have occurred during an actual battle. I forget the exact quote, but coming from a veteran who should know, paraphrasing, he said there was no way you could make that exact sound unless you were in those same battle conditions.

Who has never listened to the sound of thunder without thinking of cannons being fired off in the distance; as though the acoustical shadows transcend time? Same is the wind as it charges down through a mountain pass, or over hill and dale, but it is more personal, up close and a very scary kind of real. Avert the eyes or be drawn into the storm....
Lubliner.

It was said that there was no "one" Rebel Yell. It varied, region by region. I used to raccoon hunt with my Dad and older brother when I was growing up. It was at night, and when the pack of hounds would hit a trail, my Dad would "holler them on" in order to encourage them. When the trail got hot and the sound of the hounds on a hot trail changed, the sound of the "hollering on" would change too. I can't help but think at least some of the Rebel Yell was derived from that old tradition. If I could describe it I would, but it does sound like some of the descriptions of the "yell" that I have seen and heard. Just my "2-cents"...

I'm sure it was extremely unnerving, in the same way that bagpipes heard (but not seen) advancing through a fog would be unnerving. I doubt it would make a seasoned unit break and run, but it would sure "discomfort" them. On the other hand, I'm sure lots of Yankee units screamed and yelped during charges, too.

Just for fun I've included the story below but the bottom video says it all!
Billy Idol named his 1983 album after drinking Rebel Yell" all night long …“I was at a party for Mick Jagger with Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards. They were drinking from a bottle with a confederate cavalry officer on it. It was called Rebel Yell. They told me it was a Tennessee southern sourmash and I decided to name my next album after it, and write a song called that.-Billy Idol
It is considered lower shelf and the label has changed through the years and I personally like the original the best:
1549848234047.png

It is proudly named after this:

I had read that, because the Confederates were so often outnumbered, that their yell (in any numbers) made it seem that their attacking force was greater than it actually was...
I am sure the whole idea of taking aim and being mindful of the rifle was utmost in a soldier's concentration and any noise but the command to fire was a distraction. Even cattle respond to the high-pitched 'Yip' of the cowboy. Many a rifle went off prematurely is my guess...
Lubliner.

Just for fun I've included the story below but the bottom video says it all!
Billy Idol named his 1983 album after drinking Rebel Yell" all night long …“I was at a party for Mick Jagger with Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards. They were drinking from a bottle with a confederate cavalry officer on it. It was called Rebel Yell. They told me it was a Tennessee southern sourmash and I decided to name my next album after it, and write a song called that.-Billy Idol
It is considered lower shelf and the label has changed through the years and I personally like the original the best:
View attachment 291115
It is proudly named after this:
Thank you @Belle Montgomery for posting that. It adds a bit of flavor to the punch don't you think? I must admit if I had a thousand of those men in their younger years bearing down on me, with orders to hold my fire until told, I would pucker.
Lubliner.

Thank you @Belle Montgomery for posting that. It adds a bit of flavor to the punch don't you think? I must admit if I had a thousand of those men in their younger years bearing down on me, with orders to hold my fire until told, I would pucker.
Lubliner.
If those boys would've had the money backing them like the blue bellies had they would've won hands down with their pride and spirit alone! Tough as nails!

Lubliner.

Here they re-create what the yell probably sounded like with a whole company, regiment, or brigade on a charge. Wild !!!

Back