The reason as to why Sherman attacked at the Kennesaw line.

A. Roy

First Sergeant
Forum Host
But reading his memoirs after the battle you will see very quickly how he reverted to just move toward Sweetwater. I’m a firm believer this was his intent anyways but something is amiss in his writing that shows somebody, or something made him change his mind to force an offensive move that up until then he had avoided and still gained ground.

After the Battle of Kolb's Farm, Sherman was convinced that Johnston's center was vulnerable, believing that the Confederate commander had stretched his line too thin by committing too many soldiers to protect his left flank. Thus, Sherman ordered a major frontal assault on Johnston's army on June 27.

I've been reading about this battle recently. I haven't studied it as deeply as many folks here, but isn't it true that Johnston had stretched his line so far out that Sherman thought it must be thin and vulnerable at some point? And that that point could very well be the center, especially as Johnston's forces had formed a salient there? Sounds as if he was planning the move toward the south anyway, but maybe he thought he had an opportunity here at Johnston's center and just couldn't let it go.

Roy B.